Cage Topper

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you going to put in the tank and topper?

I have a Ware cage topper in my extra cage stash. I could let you have it for $20 plus shipping. Click on picture for more info.

I turned a 45 gallon fish tank into a gerbil home, and got a wire cage top at Petsmart for a very reasonable price. Sorry, I can't remember how much it was, but definitely affordable. A 10 gallon top would surely be cheaper yet.

Menagerie, I'm needing it for a hamster I adopted. She's in a tank right now but I want to get a cage to put on top for her.
Does the one you have still have the shelves and ramps?
I'm not able to get it at this moment because I learned today theres a delay in my paycheck because things got missed up so I'm have to wait till that is fixed. But I'm defiantly interested.

Thanks Jenn. I don't have a Petsmart near me.

When I had a ramp like that for my gerbils, before I put them into their 45 gallon tank, I covered the ramps with fleece. Just hand sewed it into place over the ramp.

Rather than buying an aquarium which can be costly, I make my own plastic bin cages (I have several hamsters & can't afford expensive cages).
Here are my plastic bin cages:
dsc_02941.jpg

BooBoo, you could probably do a top and bottom level with the tubes. Ippo, those look like some spoiled hammies... That's probably the size equivalent of a chin's cage haha

The fleece over the ramps didn't make it difficult in the least. My hammy was up there in age, too, when I covered the ramps, and I think it actually made it easier for him to get up and down, without having to find his footiing.

Okay, Thank Ask. I wasn't sure if you they could climb up the tubes if they straight up.

Yes you can make the bin cages so the hamsters can go up and down vertically. Hamsters can climb up & down with no problem.
What you can do is stack 2 bins, make a round hole on the lower bin's lid & a round hole on the floor of the top bin's lid, connect the 2 bins with plastic tubes that you can buy at the petstore. I use Crittertrail tubes that I connect.
Here are some tips & help.

If you buy a large bin, I think it's enough for 1 Syrian housed alone (Syrians are always always housed alone) or 2-3 bonded dwarfs.

Trust me when I say that I spent less making these 3 bin cages than buying a ready plastic/glass cage from the petstore.

Yes, these are spoiled hamsters :)

Last edited:
Back