Cage question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mommy2Boys0407

I'm sorry, I am not sure where to ask this. Thought I would try here. I posted an intro a little bit ago. I don't yet own a chinchilla, I am trying to learn everything I can first. My main concern right now if getting the perfect cage. Where did everyone get theirs? I have looked at pet store ones, and have realized that I don't want that because they'll chew the plastic. I wanted to see if I could get suggestions, where you all got yours, how big of one I want, and about how much I will be spending for one. Thanks!

I love the Ferret Nation 142. You can get it from Ferret.com and get them to price match the kennelvet.com price. That way with shipping it is easier.

If you have access to and can use power tools you can make your own shelves too.

I love my ferret nation. If you get lucky you can find one on craigs list sometimes. If not you can use ferret.com like Tara said. If there is a petsmart around you they carry the ferret nations and sometimes they price match too.

Agreed on the Ferret Nation - it's a great quality, very versatile cage - looks nice too, IMO :)

I got mine from Quality cage and I got 2 of the mansions. I adore them, although in the summer I will be building new cages my own out of melamine. Just don't like the look all that much. I just think they look too much like a prison. Haha. Other than that, they are awesome though.

I have a variety of cages but Ferret Nation tops my list as a winner.

I'm no expert, but I have a Quality Cage Mansion. My only complaint is I wish the doors were wider. I can't get both shoulders through so I have to maneuver a bit to reach in the back of the cage.

Ferret nation is a great cage. I love the wide opening doors in the front. Makes cleaning sooo much easier!

Thank you for all the responses I think I am going to try and get a Ferret Nation 142. Now for another question. Do I need to take out all of the platforms and ramps and replace them all with wooden shelves like you all have done?

Thank you for all the responses I think I am going to try and get a Ferret Nation 142. Now for another question. Do I need to take out all of the platforms and ramps and replace them all with wooden shelves like you all have done?

Yes, you do. I believe the shelves that come with the cage are wire that has wide spacing, so a chin can easily snap a leg on one of them.

You may also want to add fleece tubes, hammocks, etc- fun stuff to spice up the cage. This can all be found at-

www.camphorchins.com
www.mysticmosaic.org
http://www.geocities.com/forchinatechins/chincessories.htm

I have a Quality Cage and a Ferret Nation. I definitely reccommend the Ferrent Nation. However, you are going to have to remove the pants and all acessories that came with the cage, sadly.

I have 2 ferret nations, I did remove the wire ramps but I still use the shelves that came with it. I cover them with fleece, they are plastic and your chin can chew on them if they can get to them. You can also cover them with wood or just take them out. I like how wide the shelf is, so I just cover it. You can cover the pans with fleece if you wish to still use them. They are not deep enough to hold shavings, but you can buy deep pans from www.bassequipment.com They are sold as Ferret Pans

Back