cage problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzytails

I have recently had to move back to my mums house for personal reasons.
My chin used to come out of her cage and into the lounge for a run. However my chin is now housed in a spare bedroom due to my mum having a dog...the room she is in has lots of places she could hide so don't want her out in the room...any ideas on partioning off the room so she can still play outside?! We bought her a plau house which she loves but again we need the space.i would put her in my bedroom but it's not big enough .
Anybhelp/suggestions Are greatly appreciated as i don'tbwant to have to sell her x

have you tried the bathroom? thats were my single chi.s have their playtime

That's a good idea...but how would i get her to thr bathroom? She isn't a fan of being picked up? X

I use a dust bath to transport those who don't like to be handled. I handle them only when I need too because of the stress it causes them. or, if she nips, you could just put some gardening gloves on to transport her. :)

It's more that she's a wriggler. Knowing tails she'd jump out the bathh on route lol.
Is a bathroom safe for a chin?!

A bathroom can be safe if you take the proper precautions, ei close the toliet, make sure all elcetric cords are up and out of reach, check all cabinets for excape holes... I make all my chins learn to deal with being handled. Some like it better than others. You can hold a chin by the BASE of their tail so that they can't excape for carrying purposes. It does not hurt them. Many big breeders hold chins that way for grooming.

she doesn't even let you get close to holding her...she is just to fast.
is there any way i can train her to let me hold her?!
after a lot of moving about she can come out in the spar room.
the only issue now is tht she isnt in a room.with ppl all the time due to my mums dog.

as long as she is getting daily attention from you, being in a room by herself is just fine. when i had just Rhino before i got Guss, he was in my bedroom from day one and i would be sure to visit him throughout the day and evening, give him attention, check on his food and water, etc. never had an issue with him being a lone chin in his own room.

i would suggest you read threads here on the forum that describe getting your chin used to you. due to the change in her environment (new house, new smells, new sounds) i would go back to the beginning and treat her as if she was a brand new chin coming home for the first time. sit by her cage, talk to her, read her books. put your hand in the cage and let her come up to you to check you out. put playtimes on hold for now (chins don't NEED playtime), until she is more comfortable with you petting her and putting your hand lightly on her. work up to picking her up for just a minute while she is inside her cage. keep at this until she is comfortable and not struggling when you hold her in her cage, then work from there until she is comfortable being held outside of her cage. it will take time, but it will be worth it.

Back