Cage liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigelAndPeanut

Can someone please help me find resonably priced fleece liners for https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wjz7JHY3670AhW1RDABHcQJBuYQwg96BAgBEBA&adurl=

The cheapest I could find for a bottom pan liner for this cage were $25 which is the same price for the bottom pan of a critter nation. I believe its not resonably priced due to this fact and is above my budget as I am low on funds.
I just bought the cage and realised too late that I cant use bedding with the shallow bottom pan.
The bottom pan however has a bit of a dip but not enough for bedding hence my desperate need for fleece liners.

I just made my own liners. You don't even have to sew, I just cut the fleece to size, and then I clip them on with metal binder clips. It's waaaaay cheaper than buying pre-made liners. It may not look quite as pretty, but it's perfectly functional. The liners off Etsy are usually hand-made, which is part of why they're so expensive.

You can order fleece online....or you can just find some cheap fleece blankets somewhere (Target, Walmart, CVS, etc. usually sells them) and remove the string around the border and cut them to size (just make sure to leave a few inches extra on the sides and ends so you can wrap the fleece around the pans and shelves, then clip it around the edges of the plastic, it seems pretty secure if you do that). Fleece doesn't fray or unravel, so you don't have to worry about the edges coming apart. Just cut and clip. :)

I also do not have any clips and im worried Nigel my chin might chew the liner if its not pocketed around

I just made my own liners. You don't even have to sew, I just cut the fleece to size, and then I clip them on with metal binder clips. It's waaaaay cheaper than buying pre-made liners. It may not look quite as pretty, but it's perfectly functional. The liners off Etsy are usually hand-made, which is part of why they're so expensive.

You can order fleece online....or you can just find some cheap fleece blankets somewhere (Target, Walmart, CVS, etc. usually sells them) and remove the string around the border and cut them to size (just make sure to leave a few inches extra on the sides and ends so you can wrap the fleece around the pans and shelves, then clip it around the edges of the plastic, it seems pretty secure if you do that). Fleece doesn't fray or unravel, so you don't have to worry about the edges coming apart. Just cut and clip. :)
Thankyou for replying though

I just folded the fleece over so it's double-thick to be more absorbent (the second level of my cage is triple-layered to protect my girl's feet from the wire floor in her cage).

You can buy binder clips online or at any office supply store. They're very inexpensive.

And I haven't had any issue with my chin chewing the fleece, but every chin is different, of course.

I just folded the fleece over so it's double-thick to be more absorbent (the second level of my cage is triple-layered to protect my girl's feet from the wire floor in her cage).

You can buy binder clips online or at any office supply store. They're very inexpensive.
You dont need an absorbant layer?

I have one more question is it fine to just lay the fleece on the bottom pan or does it need to be strapped down
I'd recommend clipping it to the bottom pan. I wrap the fleece around the pan on all sides (sort of like how you'd make a bed with a flat, non-fitted sheet), then clip it at each corner to keep it in place. It completely covers the plastic and I haven't had any issues with my chin pulling up the fleece.

Another option you could use instead of (or better yet, in addition to) clipping the liner to the bottom pan is to use heavy-ish items in the corners on top of the liners to secure the fleece. I have her litter box (which is a heavy glass baking pan) in one corner, her chiller stone in another corner, and her large wood hidey house in a third corner. It helps keep everything laying flat and neat no matter how much she bounces around. I also use clips, but the heavy items in the corners make it extra secure.

If you sew even a little, you could make a simple pillowcase-style cover for the pan, which is pretty straightforward even if you're not an experienced sewer. I would have done this myself, but my sewing machine is broken at the moment, and I don't have the patience to sew it by hand. Honestly, that's probably the best method if sewing is at all an option. But if you find the notion of sewing something daunting, the cut and clip method is perfectly functional. :)

Back