Cage Inquiry

I would like to know if it will be ok/safe to have the two story Critter Nation Cage setup for my 10 week old chinchillas? Also I bought fleece and ledges for the cage and want to know will that be ok? I rather not use bedding bc it can become expensive. If I’m using fleece will my chins pee on it? I know I have to clean the cage daily of poop and hay and fresh water but how often should I clean the fleece? Please help

Zahrii

You should block them off to only one story until they are six months of age. Make sure the fleece is anti-pill, and they may pee on the fleece if they're not litter pan trained. You should wash the fleece 1-2 times a week.

Zahrii

You can get litter pans from Walmart, just use a metal or ceramic cake pan. I use small rectangular Pyrex glass storage containers, I just remove the lid and fill it with bedding. Make sure the pan isn't plastic and has a square/rectangle shape, as most chins tend to pee in corners. For bedding, most people use either pine or aspen shavings. Pine makes it smell less, but aspen isn't as dusty so there's no risk for an allergic reaction, although allergic reactions aren't very common. Don't use paper bedding, as there's a high chance the chin could eat it and it could expand inside of them. Place 1-2 pans with bedding in the corners where your chin pees the most. So they know to use the pan, you can place some bedding where they pee before you place the pan so it soaks up the urine, then place it inside the pan. Don't change the bedding for a day or so, so they can get the hint that that's where they're supposed to go. Only change it if it's really soaked. Also, it's impossible to train a chin for their poo, so just focus on the urine aspect.

Amethyst

Staff member
One thing to keep in mind when litter training is that not all chins can or want to be litter trained. My guys use the litter pan about 50% of the time now, so not all the time but it helps. At 10 weeks they may also be too young to litter train, so don't get discouraged. It's more a situation of working with where they naturally want to pee, most pick a corner or corners to pee, and you just put a pan of shavings there. If they don't pick a spot you'll have to train them, clean up any "accidents" as soon as possible and soak some shavings in it and put it in the litter box. I use a square metal baking pan, I got two so I can have one in the cage and beable to soak the second one if needed. Another trick that some people swear by is putting a smooth rock in the litter pan, big enough for the chin to sit on, apparently they like to sit on rocks to pee, like having a toilet seat.

If they are peeing on the fleece you'll want to make the cage liners multi layered thick (I use 3 layers) so the pee gets absorbed into it rather then just sitting on it. You'll also need to change the fleece at least a couple times a week, with my guys peeing in the box some I'm able to go about a week before it smells. Keep in mind though, some chins seem to pee more then others and some pee smells worse then others, so you may need to change the cage more often. When washing the fleece it's best to just use vinegar, no detergent (other then the chemical free ones, but give it an extra rinse cycle if you use it) or fabric softener. Most detergents have toxic chemicals and fabric softener coats the fleece making it less absorbent. Vinegar is naturally antibacterial, neutralizes ammonia, and relaxes fabric fibers softening it.

Latest posts