CA ECBC Spring Field Day - March 28, 2009

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC04741.jpg

Beiges

DSC04745.jpg

More Beiges

DSC04748.jpg

TOV Beige

DSC04749.jpg

Homo Ebs

DSC04750.jpg

Homo Ebs

DSC04754.jpg

Black velvets

DSC04755.jpg

Black velvets

DSC04756.jpg

Checking bellies on the standards in the running for Grand Show

DSC04757.jpg

Choosing GSC std

DSC04758.jpg

GSC and RGS standards - both Bowen animals

DSC04768.jpg

CC Violet - Chiniverse

DSC04767.jpg

RCC Violet - Somavia

DSC04772.jpg

CC Eb - Bowen

DSC04771.jpg

RCC Eb - Bowen

DSC04773.jpg

Jr. breeder awards: Sumiko De La Vega (Chinchilla Chateau), Danny Miller (Chinchilla Villa), Cara Beasley (Chinchillas QED), Tabitha Hong (RDZC Ranch), Ruth and Gary (Chiniverse Ranch)

I realize I didn't get the top male and female standards and I didn't get a picture of the hetero ebs either. If anyone has those, go ahead and post them!

How come there are classes for the different beiges. I thought it was light, medium, dark color phase beiges.

With ECBC shows, beiges are not divided into color phases (light, medium, dark); there are homo beige, beige (het. beige) and TOV beige classes. I have never been to an MCBA show, but I believe MCBA separates animals by color phase.

With ECBC shows, beiges are not divided into color phases (light, medium, dark); there are homo beige, beige (het. beige) and TOV beige classes. I have never been to an MCBA show, but I believe MCBA separates animals by color phase.

Ok thanks-those are alot of really nice photos. Thanks for posting.

I've made my point here, and still support it, so at this point I won't post more on that topic, but I do want to comment on your tone. You need to realize you aren't talking with idiots. I would imagine both Luke and I have been breeding and showing chins for a longer time then you have, and both of us have had a good deal of success on the show table. You don't need to tell us how quality chins are bred, but it seems to be what you keep on doing. It might be time to step of that horse, it looks pretty high from down here.

You're reading a tone that isn't there. I'm merely trying to discuss a topic with you and trying to let you understand where the whole separate class for carriers is coming from. Obviously you do not like any opinion that varies from your own or you wouldn't be reading the tone you say was there. I never implied or suggested that either you or Luke were idiots, if you read that, it's not my problem.

I find it interesting that both of you feel the need to "toot your own horns" so to speak. I haven't posted anywhere on here about the great awards chins from my breeding have taken. To me, that's a last resort for people that have run out of arguments to make.

And one last thing Jeff, while you made a good point about the phases rather than carriers, I'm still in disagreement. I believe that carriers are not the same as regular standards. They are not the same genetically and shouldn't have to be the same phenotypically. Eventually they should be able to match up to a regular standard on their own merit but I think they deserve their own class.

Awesome pics Sumiko!:thumbsup:

Nice pics. At an ECBC field day you can pretty much do it the way you want to and its fun sometimes to experiment. At a sanctioned show you follow the rules. The 10 class show system as is works great. ECBC judges males and females seperately and then all first place females and males are left on the table to judge for CC and RCC. You still get comments on all the animals as females and males. The only advantage to doing it the way it was done at the field day is more breeder points.
If we used carriers in our breeding program, I believe I would want them held to the same standards as the standard animals are. I think like Jeff, it sounds like the standards they are held to would be lowered, just because they are carriers. I'm curious, was a check animal used on them, same as the pure standards?
I can't see this spilling over into the sanctioned show system though.
Anyway, glad to see you all had a good show. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pictures.

They used the highest in the 2nd standard to judge some of the others to compare. She was one of mine.

We all had a great time!! There is something that just stuck out, Donna Read said that California used to have some of the nicest chins, and now we have a lot of pet quality chins here, and we should toughing up our breeding programs. For me it really inspired me!! I also came with five new quality chins! I am already looking forward to the next show. lol

You're reading a tone that isn't there. I'm merely trying to discuss a topic with you and trying to let you understand where the whole separate class for carriers is coming from. Obviously you do not like any opinion that varies from your own or you wouldn't be reading the tone you say was there. I never implied or suggested that either you or Luke were idiots, if you read that, it's not my problem.

The reason we did it separately this show is that you look for different qualities in your carriers than you do in regular standards. You don't want to use an extra dark standard that would take class champion in your violet or sapphire lines. You want a lighter, clearer, bluer animal to use for your carriers.

We judged based on what you would want to go back to a sapphire line vs. a violet line. Because with violet you want more veiling in the lines than you want in the sapphires. If you work with either of these colors and the carriers they produce you'd understand why we made a separate "carrier" class rather than putting in a medium standard class.

Posts like these are the tone I was referencing. They come across as there is only one way to breed chinchillas and you are here teaching everyone what that one way is. There is no IMHO, in my herd, as I've been taught, you are just posting it as if it is scientifically proven fact.

I find it interesting that both of you feel the need to "toot your own horns" so to speak. I haven't posted anywhere on here about the great awards chins from my breeding have taken. To me, that's a last resort for people that have run out of arguments to make.

Sorry if it came across as a last resort, I was simply trying to get the point across that I know a thing or two about how quality animals are bred. I don't know you from adam, this is a new site a new era, it's not like CnQ where you could do a quick search and have 8 years of info on some people.

And one last thing Jeff, while you made a good point about the phases rather than carriers, I'm still in disagreement. I believe that carriers are not the same as regular standards. They are not the same genetically and shouldn't have to be the same phenotypically. Eventually they should be able to match up to a regular standard on their own merit but I think they deserve their own class.
Awesome pics Sumiko!:thumbsup:

On that logic, I do some line breeding in my herd, and specifically work with an extra dark line that seems to be recessive which leads to lots of medium "carriers". When crossed back together these animals produce extra dark standards. Where is the class for these animals since their phenotype should be different? John Doe is using the classic "I just breed for pets" and is using a different breeding system then you or I, where is his class for his animals?

Get where I am going? A medium standard is a medium standard, and they all need to be held to the same criteria, carrier or not. If you start stuff like this it is the start of the end of the show system as we know it. Eventually everybody will want their animals judge differently for a multitude of reasons, and our fur based standards will be the gone before we know it as our old time ranchers go away and are replaced by pet people.

Here's a few more pictures. I bought the GSC and Reserve so these are the pics I took at home.

gustav03300910.jpg

nora0330091.jpg

Pictures taken during the show
DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

GORGEOUS! Wish we could have made it but are having some ex-family issues and it is a mess! Hopefully we will make it to the Seattle show the end of April!

great pics everyone thanks for sharing. glad you had the turn out.. I was home the weekend before.. BOOOOO... Congrats to all the winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back