Bringing cagemate with to the vet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwomuses

My chinchilla has something up with his eye so he has a vet appointment in the morning. He's incredibly anxious and has been moved around a lot in his life. He's not used to me properly yet so I was wondering if I should bring his bonded cagemate with? She's also had a hard life and gets quite stressed when she's alone and can't find her cagemate.

Is it worth the added stress for her to bring her with to the vet to keep him company or is it best to just take him alone? She's used to the vets and is pretty chill with traveling short distances.

Busy weighing up the pros and cons and would love some advice.

Thank you!

I think it might be worth bringing the cage mate too, especially since they might use meds and that can make him smell funny. If they both smell like the vet there should be less issue once back home. Having their cage mate can help them feel more comfortable too.

The only problem I can see is if you can't go in with the chins to make sure they examine the right chinchilla. You can also call and ask the vet if it's ok to bring both in just to keep the male company, especially if you wont be allowed to go in with them.

I didn't think about the smell! That's a great point. The vet is lovely so I'm sure bringing both won't be a problem. They're already closed and won't be open till we get there so I can't check.
Since his eye is quite noticeable, their colouring is slightly different and he's male and she's female I think they should be able to tell them apart easily.
Thanks again!

Back