Breaking whiskers. ):

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadouneko

Over the past week, I've noticed that Chester's whiskers have been splitting and breaking.. I'm finding them on the floor, and broken off on his face... has this happened to anyone else? I'm so scared... he's acting perfectly fine, just like himself.. but I'm not sure why this is happening.. I've also noticed that his paws are mildly losing hair.. not too much, but it's noticeable to me. Is he sick? ):

have you taken chester to the vet? i apologize for not having more insight into this matter, and i do hope chester is okay!

How short are the broken whiskers? He could be chewing them down a bit, that's normal. Whiskers fall out from time to time, too, and that's normal as well. Most chins don't trim their own whiskers, he doesn't have a friend, does he? Some chins chew off their friends' whiskers, it's a dominance thing that they do to make the other chins feel smaller.

Or, of he's one of the chins who locks onto the bars of his cage and rubs furiously back and forth.

Before I broke Mr. Whiskers of that nasty habit, he was breaking off/llosing those magnificent whiskers for which he was named.

My chin Charlie has the same problem with splitting and broken off whiskers. He only has it happening on one side. Looks really weird. I noticed that they rub against the doors in their wood house, but I also have second chin that might be the culprit, too. Might be worth looking around the cage to see, if something is causing it.

Thank you for your replies, everyone!

Or, of he's one of the chins who locks onto the bars of his cage and rubs furiously back and forth.

Before I broke Mr. Whiskers of that nasty habit, he was breaking off/llosing those magnificent whiskers for which he was named.

It seems as though Lynn might have been correct. He is a crazy little guy and I noticed he excessively groomed his face and pulled down his whiskers and I think he might have been doing it himself.. and rubbing up against his cage. I was so scared it was a fungus but we checked it out and he was fine in that sense. I've noticed they haven't been breaking off since as much so I'm a little more at ease. I try to keep him from pulling them out as much as I can.

Back