Brand New Owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerbreeze22

I've only had my chinchilla for a day and he is my first. Yesterday when I got him home I let him play in his cage for awhile in order to get acquainted with his home. Later that night, I set up his dust bath for him to jump into from his cage. I also opened his cage and held a treat for him to come to me to get to nibble at it. He did this a couple times. Then, I proofed my small kitchen and allowed him to crawl in and out of his cage in my kitchen while my friend and I sat on the floor. My chinchilla crawled on our legs, laps, and arms. He also crawled up my friends arm and around his neck on his shoulders. Today, I had work and was gone all day. When I came back, I sat on the floor next to his cage and talked to him and held my finger up to his cage. I also offered him a shredded carrot which he took from my hand to nibble. I have gone over to the cage a couple more times tonight but has seemed very standoffish even when he got the carrot. Does anyone have any suggestions to whether or not I am doing well and what I could do in order to better train him and strengthen our bond? Also, what are some must have toys and treats?

if you've only had him a day. my guess is he isn't comfortable in your house yet.
i would just sit by his cage and talk to him
wait a week and then stick your arms in the cage and let him crawl on you.
by rushing him you can stress him out even more.
he's probably still stressed from the move and just wants to be alone since he isn't use to the new surroundings yet.
i love hanging toys from Christine at Twilight Chinchillas.
she is on here under Twilight Chinchillas.
also carrots aren't a safe treat.
here is a list of safe treats.
http://www.chinnation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=31
also there are some vendors on here that sell safe treats, that aren't on that list. but they are safe.

sticks are also considered a treat. but you can give sticks every day.
because it helps with the wearing down of your chinchillas teeth.

Last edited:
The biggest thing you need to remember is to have patience. The more time you spend with him, but faster you will bond. I think you are off to the right start, but give him to to fully adjust to his new surroundings and to you. Just sitting with him is great and let him make the move to come to you. Safe treats are ok, and NO fruits and veggies. The occasional treat is ok, but the treats don't create the bond, it's the time and effort you put into it. Be patient and enjoy this time of getting to know your new chin. It will pay off in the long run!

I agree with the posts above. The more time you spend with them, the better. I also agree on the treat point. As humans, we feel the need to treat our pets with food, and with chins it isnt needed and it can have harmful effects. Sticking to the safe treat list and only in moderation is the best advice.

Have fun with your new baby.

Welcome to the world of chin ownership (also known as being owned by chinchillas). Aside from not being used to his surroundings, he's a chinchilla. Their mood varies LOL! Seriously though, he's just getting adjusted which could take a while. You're doing it the right way with the exception of the carrots as mentioned. Slow and steady and even then be prepared for bumps in the road. Likewise, on a more serious note, chinchillas do have moody days just like any social animal.

As far as treats go, I rarely give anything other than sticks...easiest to regulate as you can't really overdose ;) if they get bored, get them a new variety to try or even a different size...or for hanging toys a different design!

Congrats, welcome, enjoy!

Back