Both won't eat any hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwomuses

Hi so my two rescue girls are settling in really well but I've had them for almost 2 weeks and they still won't eat hay. They eat pellets (supreme science selective) but won't touch their hay. I've tried meadow hay (pets at home) and a meadow hay/timothy blend (also pets at home) and timothy hay (science selective) but nothing. They won't even touch. I tried those hard "cookie" type things which are 100% hay and still nothing. I tried a hay rack, a bowl, and the floor. Also have been trying to put oats or dried chinchilla forage in with the hay but they still won't eat the hay. Please any advice? I'm going to try to get in touch with the shelter to see what their old foster care experienced but for now does anyone have any advice? They still have a fresh rack of the meadow-timothy mix and a fresh bowl of the timothy of course but it's staying ignored.

Have you had their teeth checked? Sometimes if the molars get over grown they can, or wont eat hay.

Have you had their teeth checked? Sometimes if the molars get over grown they can, or wont eat hay.
They were looked over by a vet at the rescue and they didn't see anything wrong but I will get them checked out if the problem continues. Thank you for the suggestion!

Back