Bonding two brothers to a new male

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmittre

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has had any success/tips on bonding brothers to a new chinchilla (outside the standard norm bonding techniques)? The possible new chin used to have a cage mate before, but the mate has since passed on. It sounds like he’s been bounced around to a lot of different homes/owners and was abused by children in one home. The current owner wants to find someone to take him or will give him to a shelter. I’d like to take him in with the hopes of bonding him to the two brothers I have or at least them being able to coexist in the same room/play time.

I would not advise bonding a third chin to an already bonded pair. I had a trio several years ago and this resulted in my ebony male being bullied by the other two. Could you not take this chin, house in a separate cage, and consider a cage mate of the same sex for him once he has settled and is comfortable with you?

I would not advise bonding a third chin to an already bonded pair. I had a trio several years ago and this resulted in my ebony male being bullied by the other two. Could you not take this chin, house in a separate cage, and consider a cage mate of the same sex for him once he has settled and is comfortable with you?
Yes, that is an option. It was more for the idea that they would get the most benefit of having them together. My boys get a couple hours of outside cage time everyday so I didn’t want to cut off their playtime/attention if possible. Do you think it might be easier to get them okay with being caged separately, but have play time together?

To be honest, I would give them separate playtime. Chins really do not need the amount of time out of cage you are giving them. My adults get 20 mins maximum, and not every day.

When trying to bond a third to a bonded pair a lot can go wrong and it can even end up with the bonded pair splitting, one liking the new one and one not, or the new guy not liking them. If you really want to try it it's a long process (months or even years), it's best to first bond each with the new chin separately so they can't gang up. Assuming they get along one on one then you can try bonding all 3 together. The times I've seen 3 or more work the best tends to be when it's family, father with sons, mother with daughters, siblings, etc.

I have had chins in the past that enjoyed having playmates but not cage mates, so it is possible that they can play together. I would still introduce them one on one first and make sure they get along, again so you don't end up with them ganging up.

I will definitely keep them separate then and hopefully get them to enjoy play time together. Thank you all for your comments!! I don’t want to risk breaking the bond between my brothers.

Back