Quantcast

Bonding and age difference?

ChocolatPocky

I recently got a 5 month old chin, Gusgus! (named after the fat Cinderella mouse)

Should I wait until he's a bit older before trying to bond him with my 4-5 year old chin? Once I put Gusgus into his cage across the room from Mr. B's cage, Mr. B got pretty antsy and I'm worried things would be unequal between them. Gusgus is still young and can hardly jump onto any platforms or chew sticks as efficiently as Mr. B can. I'm a bit worried Mr. B might bully him?

Amethyst

Staff member
I like to wait until they are close to similar size, or at least close to full grown when pairing a kit with an adult. If you just got Gusgus it's best to wait 30 days before doing intros anyway just to allow him to settle in and for any illness to show up before putting them together. By the time the 30 days is over he will be 6 months and a bit bigger, most are close to full size by 6 months.

ChocolatPocky

Its been a few weeks since I got Gusgus, so I picked him up in a little box and brought him a few inches away from Mr. B's cage. (Mr. B's cage is up on a cart so it's higher up off the ground than Gusgus' Critter Nation, they can't really see each other from within their own cages) They are aware that there's another chinchilla around tho, I've swapped toys and they can smell each other.

Upon seeing Gusgus, Mr. B made no noises and at first he would hide in his hut, but eventually came out and stuck his nose out between the bars and was very curious/trying to get closer. Gusgus made no noises either. Just popped his head up to look a bit and then would duck back down.

I guess that's a pretty good interaction so far? They don't seem to be aggressive to each other.
I think I'm gonna move Gusgus up to the 2nd level of the CN cage so him and Mr B can see each other better when I move the cages closer.

Last edited:

Latest posts