Bloody/Swollen foot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany_Lynn

I like dinosaurs :3
I just did a search and saw 2 very recent posts about bloody feet, and Sonya has had cracked feet that bled before BUT today I noticed that her foot is swollen, and it looks like it has a sore on it, so I'm making this a separate post.

I cleaned it really well with some warm water, and then rubbed some bag balm on it. Is there anything else I can/should do? Is this just a normal cut foot, or should I be worried about the swelling? There is no pus or blood coming out of the "sore" (in the last picture, I circled it in red), but as you can see, the right side of her left foot is swollen. I outlined her feet in the second picture so that you can see what I mean, in comparison to her right foot. The pictures were taken after I cleaned her foot, but before I put the bag balm on.

She has shavings in her cage, I've noticed a few threads that suggest switching to fleece when they have bumble foot...should I switch to fleece, for her? Quick replies would be most appreciated.

ETA: The swollen side of her cut foot feels warm to the touch.

Attachments

• sonya1.jpg
    sonya1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 71
  • sonya1.2.jpg
    sonya1.2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 67
  • sonya2.jpg
    sonya2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 77
  • sonya3.jpg
    sonya3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 78
Is the swelling just on the bottom of the foot, or does it extend up the sides or feel like it's including the joint where her heel is?

It looks like a little more severe case of bumble foot than normal - it may need aspirating and antibiotics.

That looks like bumblefoot to me, I would get the chin to a vet since a oral antibiotic may be prescribed and chlorhexidine foot soaks and it does look like you could have a enclosed abscess that may need to be drained. Bumblefoot can be serious and lead to amputation so I would get that foot looked at ASAP.

I was thinking bumblefoot too, i saw some pretty bad pictures a while ago and i am paranoid now about my chinnies feet, i would get the chinnies foot checked out too it cant be very comfortable.

Thanks everyone :( Poor Sonya! Going to make an appointment tomorrow--hopefully *for* tomorrow... I'll let you know after the appointment what the diagnosis is.
Is the swelling just on the bottom of the foot, or does it extend up the sides or feel like it's including the joint where her heel is?

It seems to be below and a bit on the side of the joint :(

Last edited:
It looks like it may be an abscess to me. Hopefully it'll just need antibiotics, maybe some draining. Warm compresses might help.

I hope Sonya recovers quick!

Got back from the Vet about an hour ago; the vet doesn't want to drain Sonya's foot at this point because she said that I caught it really early, and if she did open her foot to drain it, that the open area might get infected despite antibiotics (if she walks in pee, etc).
She also looked at her eyes-Sonya has had 1 visible, (but tiny) cloudy white scar on her left eye since I bought her, and the vet pointed out to me that she has the beginning of something on her right cornea as well. So she put some fluorescent dye in Sonya's eyes and showed me that the imperfections had actually "sucked up" some of the dye. She prescribed some artificial tears ointment and says that hopefully they will recede-the one on the right eye should go away completely, the other one should become miniscule.

SO at the moment Sonya has been prescribed:
Opthalmic Base Ointment 3X Daily for 7 days for her eyes
.42 ml Sulfatrim pediatric susp 2X Daily for 21 Days antibiotic for her feet
and
.14 ml Meloxicam 1X Daily for 21 Days for pain

She did very well at the vet's, but she is very angry with me right now. The ointment around her eyes has made her look kind of like a raccoon and I'm sure it is uncomfortable. I'm a mean mommy, but that's okay with me as long as she gets better.

ETA: Does Meloxicam affect appetite at all? I totally forgot to ask the vet. :banghead:

Last edited:
Glad to hear she survived the "ordeal" she'll forgive you after some treats, I'm sure.

Meloxicam can cause GI irritation, so I would keep a close eye on her eating habits.

It can also make some chins drowsy a couple of hours after administration. 21 days IMO is the max you would want to use metecam without a antacid, so if the chin is on it longer revisit the thread and we can talk more.

It can also make some chins drowsy a couple of hours after administration. 21 days IMO is the max you would want to use metecam without a antacid, so if the chin is on it longer revisit the thread and we can talk more.

Thanks, will do.
Sonya's doing pretty well so far, her sore seems to be healing up well, the swollen area is shrinking (slooooowly) and it is no longer warm to the touch. BUT She absolutely hates me for the eye ointment. She's always been the most miserable whenever she gets dirty...I've let her have 2 baths this week because she was trying to roll around in her hay. That cheered her up, but she still barks anytime I pass her cage, and when I open the door...forget it! She hides in her little house so I can't get her. At least she'll be healthy in a few weeks!

Quote:

That cheered her up, but she still barks anytime I pass her cage, and when I open the door...forget it! She hides in her little house so I can't get her.

It may take a little while, but she will get over it.

Sorry everyone, I meant to update when I finished her medications, but I had a (not good) crazy holiday and then was very busy with work. Anyway, she finished her medications after 21 days. A few times over those 3 weeks, the sore on her foot opened up--despite the fleece and the bag balm--but every time I gently washed it to make sure she didn't get any urine or dust in there, and put more bag balm on there. It hasn't bled in almost 2 weeks (yay!). That foot, with the sore, is still larger than the other foot, but the swollen area that I originally was so afraid of is about 1/2 or maybe even 3/4 the size it was at it's largest. Her poops were a little dry during the 3rd week, but otherwise normal consistency and size. Her appetite has been normal as well. Here are some pictures of her feet now-much better! I circled the "sore" in the second picture, but it's not a sore anymore, it's really just a small scab, so it's healing nicely.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• 100_1836.jpg
    100_1836.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1837.jpg
    100_1837.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 20
Back