blood from anus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendra

Hi need advice please! My boy Ferdinand is not doing well, took him to the vet wednesday because he wasn't eating or pooping. They prescribed a motility med and pain med and filed some teeth (he has a history of teeth issues, mainly spurs and is not a big chewer so his front teeth can overgrow slightly). Tonight I picked him up to hand feed him and saw a small amount of blood from his anus.

He isn't lethargic but is stretching his belly occassionally if that makes sense

I have tried calling my amazing vet but they don't have anyone to see him in urgent care. There is one e-vet that sees exotics but not really knowledgable about chins, so, should I take him to that one or see if I can get a monday or weekend appointment with someone who knows chins specifically?

Thanks

Sounds like it could be the start of a rectal prolapse. If it were me I would definitely get him to a vet asap!

You were right Narcissus, he ended up having a prolapse but it went back in by itself at the e-vet (just got back!). The vet didn't do anything and said she didn't know much about chins, but to make an appointment with his vet tomorrow. At least I had been holding him and it was found immediately when it happened, which I doubt would have been the case if I hadn't taken him, so at least not a totally wasted trip. I'm just hoping he doesn't prolapse again or anything overnight.

Is there anything I can do for him in the meantime besides just continue hand feeding and the meds he's been on?

In case of emergency and you can't get to your vet, its a bit of a drive but in Los Altos Adobe Pet Hospital is open 24/7/365 and almost always has at least one vet who sees chins, they have like 8 or 9 vets who see chins.

They are the ones I take him to normally, I'd called them and they had told me they didn't have anyone in emergency that sees chins so gave a few numbers of other e-vets. I'm going to try and make an appointment with them today though.

There was no prolapse again in the middle of the night and came over to the door of the cage for pets when I called so those are good signs!

Ok, please have Ferdinand in your thoughts, he prolapsed again a few hours before his appointment today, got him to the e-vet at adobe and they put a stitch in but he prolapsed again as they were preparing him to leave, so they put another one in and are keeping him overnight to observe him. On a positive note though he did eat a few pellets on his own there, which he hadn't been doing. He also still has quite a bit of energy.

Thanks! He's home now, absolutely refusing to eat, had to struggle to get any cc in him let alone meds. He's on some anti parasitics, baytril, metacam, and a motility med. hopefully he will get some appetite soon at least enough to eat the cc and hoping he poops soon too

Back