Bloat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lholly9

Hi everyone,

My chin Freddy (7) has been sitting in the corner of his cage all evening which is very unlike him.
I also noticed him stretching a little more than usual but since he was climbing off his shelf each time I can't tell if he's pressing his tummy down.
He also hasn't touched his food this evening although he ate lots yesterday.

I've felt his tummy and it doesn't feel hard but he did grind his teeth and cry a little bit when I touched it (but he doesn't like his tummy being touched anyway).

It's 3am here currently in the UK and I'm going to get gas drops tomorrow asap.

What should I do?
If I don't call the vet in the morning (Sat) I will have to wait until Monday.

Do you think I should try him on the drops and not call the vet immediately?

Hi everyone,

My chin Freddy (7) has been sitting in the corner of his cage all evening which is very unlike him.
I also noticed him stretching a little more than usual but since he was climbing off his shelf each time I can't tell if he's pressing his tummy down.
He also hasn't touched his food this evening although he ate lots yesterday.

I've felt his tummy and it doesn't feel hard but he did grind his teeth and cry a little bit when I touched it (but he doesn't like his tummy being touched anyway).

It's 3am here currently in the UK and I'm going to get gas drops tomorrow asap.

What should I do?
If I don't call the vet in the morning (Sat) I will have to wait until Monday.

Do you think I should try him on the drops and not call the vet immediately?
An Update:

I've had him out for a bit and he's running around while out of his cage and has pooped a good amount.
The poops look fine, not worryingly small but smaller than normal.

He also ate food that I handed him and had a drink on his own.

I've given him probiotics which will hopefully help until I get him his gas drops tomorrow.

Would still appreciate advice! After researching more I'm not sure the vet will do much else other than recommend gas drops.

Since he is still moving and pooping I would try the gas drops first, see if that helps. If the gas drops don't help after a couple doses (given every 8-12 hours), or he gets any worse, then I would call the vet.

Since he is still moving and pooping I would try the gas drops first, see if that helps. If the gas drops don't help after a couple doses (given every 8-12 hours), or he gets any worse, then I would call the vet.
I ended up taking him in today at 11am after being up with him all night.

He was in a lot of pain, grinding his teeth and crying although he did perk up a lot after I got him gas drops as soon as the shop opened at 6am.

The vet felt his tummy and said it felt good so to keep going with the gas drops and she also prescribed me some metacam in case he gets bad again.

I'm happy I took him as all the vets are closed tomorrow and (while of course I'll take him in to emergency if I have to) it was much better to have him seen today.

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up taking him in today at 11am after being up with him all night.

He was in a lot of pain, grinding his teeth and crying although he did perk up a lot after I got him gas drops as soon as the shop opened at 6am.

The vet felt his tummy and said it felt good so to keep going with the gas drops and she also prescribed me some metacam in case he gets bad again.

I'm happy I took him as all the vets are closed tomorrow and (while of course I'll take him in to emergency if I have to) it was much better to have him seen today.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm still worried, it's nearly 11pm and he has had 3 droppers of gas drops total today and 1 dose of metacam at 10pm.

He still has pain and is laying flat so I can't get to his tummy (although from what I felt it doesn't feel hard).

He has eaten, had water, and has peed.
He's been sleeping since returning from the vets so not that many poos but there are some.

I'll most likely pull an all nighter again with him, I can't sleep when he's sick like this :(

Back