Blind or infected eye?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpenn

We’re taking our chinchilla to the vet when they open later, but I woke up this morning and found his eye was glazed over almost like he is going blind :( I can’t tell what it is, has anyone else seen anything like this? His other eye is totally fine0B69AFA5-67B7-4A52-BCE1-BE45F3C5D74A.jpeg

It looks like a cataract to me, with an eye infection the eyes would be watery and you would see white discharge in the corner of the eye. It could also be he scratched his eye, but once again the eye would be watery and it doesn't look to be in this pic, hard to tell. Cataracts can sometimes be treated with eye drops if you start early, and if it's caused by a scratch you need to treat it right away before it scars, so worth getting checked out as soon as possible.

I cant advise you on what that looks like, but I can tell you that it does not appear to be a corneal ulcer - Just so you can try and rule that out.

My chin currently has an eye issue, and was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer

img-20200525-wa0002-jpg.21002

You will notice that the top of her eye, its not smooth and glassy glossy. It looks like your chins eye is still smooth and glossy on the outside, and the discoloration is happening within the eye.

Have you noticed any weird discharge? Any excessive tears or anything?

Back