Bitter apple spray?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rush

Would it harm my chinchilla to spray bitter apple spray on the bottom of the wall to keep her from chewing on them, there are no baseboards so she is chewing directly on the dry wall. She tries to ingest everything except fleece when she chews and doesn't understand no very well. If not bitter apple spray any other suggestions?

i wouldnt use that. chinchillas are rodents, it is their instinct to chew. your best bet would be to either get a playpen so your chin is no in that room for playtime or to cover the baseboards with cardboard or fleece.

i doubt anyone here will get a chinchilla to "understand" no. while some have had some success in minor training, they are not easily trained as a dog would be.

You can't really train a Chin not to chew. A play pen like mishellyshel suggested is a great solution. Maybe try to play in the bathroom tub too, as long as all the shampoos and other chemicals are put away.

I have one on the way but the arrival has been delayed and she has been cooped up for a few days because of it. I didn't really expect her to learn 'no' but one can always hope. Is there any certain reason the apple bitter spray isn't a good idea for now, I was mostly curious if it would hurt her if she does try to chew on whatever I would spray it on? It's only a temporary solution until the play pen gets here.

I don't believe it would hurt her. However it won't work. I tried years ago and found chins love the taste. Nothing works but chasing them away from where they are chewing. Of course, they will only go back so you will be chasing the whole time they are out. Chins will be chins

From my understanding it is non-toxic so should be safe. I've never used it but I've heard of others who have. It has little to no effect on deterring them away. I think i've heard more stories of chinchillas liking the flavor.

Alright then, hopefully her pen will be here soon, I definitely don't want to risk encouraging her by putting something she'll love on the walls.

It's like putting seasoning on whatever you spray it. The chins are attracted to it for some weird reason. I used it a couple of times, it did nothing except to almost ensure that a chin would chew where I sprayed it.

I've seem people cover up walls and other places that they do not want chins to chew with cardboard and also aluminum foil. I wish that I had done this because the chins have ruined the baseboards and the vanity in the bathroom among many other things - it doesn't matter if they chew now.

I can't put up card board, she will eat anything cardboard that is put in her reach, I was told that most will shred it or rip then spit it out, but there are never any shreds of card board and I never see her spit it out. Do most not chew tinfoil? I've not seen anything about chins and tin foil on here.

Can you distract her with something during play time? I put out cardboard boxes (well, paperboard boxes), toys, some tubes, a couple of little wooden play centers and they tend to like that better. My baseboards are already chewed so maybe they don't like them anymore.

As far as I know a chin wouldn't want to chew on something lined in foil. They don't seem to want to chew it.

you said she wont chew fleece, right? maybe cut small strips of fleece to cover??

maybe they like the bitter apple so much because it reminds them of their favorite treat: apple sticks!!

When I tried to use bitter apple, Shelly would lick it off the wall. When she was done licking, she would chew. May my poor dining table RIP.

I've also tacked fleece to the walls. Shell pulled it down and chewed.

Playpens are the best option, or the bathroom.

If your playpen is on it's way just don't give playtime until it arrives. Your chin will be fine.

I will probably just hold off on play time, I have several play houses and chew toys for her to play with and her dust bath out two to three times a week to keep her attention, but she seems to love the wall, kind of like the forbidden fruit is the sweetest. I was just feeling bad because it's already been four days without play time because fedex messed up my order. A wheel is the next thing on my list of playthings for her.

Back