Bitten ear / Polysporin question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie66

Hi there,
Chino's ear has a scab (right in the middle) with about 3 mm of redness around it. Spotted it yesterday's night. I considered putting Polysporin on, but saw (in other threads) that people say NOT to use Polysporin if it has pain relief med. Of course, this is the type I have. So instead we cleaned with a bit of soap and water (using a wet paper towel) and put some Vaseline. Chino, to our surprise, did not object at all. This morning the ear looks pretty much the same as it did yesterday. I still would like to put Polysporin on it. What is the risk if using the pain-relief Polysporin (black package)?
Thank you

The pain relief one is toxic to chins, it can make them sick or even kill them since it absorbs through the skin and it's dosage for humans not a small animal. If you want something more then Vaseline you can use Bag Balm, it's basically Vaseline with pet safe antiseptic, or you could use Blu-Kote which is an antibacterial and anti-fungal product.

I don't recommend using vaseline or triple antibiotic. If you don't have the wound completely clean, then any kind of ointment like that just seals in bacteria. Instead, go with the Blu-Kote.

Thank you so much, tunes & Amethyst!
Do you happen to know where can I find Blu-Kote in Canada (in a Chinchilla quantity :))?

Thank you so much, tunes & Amethyst!
Do you happen to know where can I find Blu-Kote in Canada (in a Chinchilla quantity :))?
You can find Blu-Kote at any farm/livestock store. If you can find it, the liquid is better since you can use a q-tip to apply it, that stuff stains anything it touches violet.

Back