Biting, very hard. About to give up.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CL19

Hey everyone.

I'm a new chinchilla owner, although I've had my chinchilla for about a month now. He is a male, about three months old now. When I first got him I tried to gain his trust. Yet any attempt to let him climb on my hands, he would bite very, very hard. I waited a couple weeks, thinking he needed time to settle. Still, he would bite.

Today I tried once more. At first I felt I was making progress, he was climbing on my hands and on my arms. He nibbled slightly at my hands, but then bit down very hard, causing me to bleed. I would put a treat on my hand, yet he would still chomp down on my hand after a few nibbles.

I tried the air blowing trick about fifty times, no joke. Whenever he nibbled or bit fairly hard I blew on his face, he flinched, then began to bite me again.

I put on a leather glove, yet he would tug on it and bite it. I blew on his face, yet he would still chomp down on it.

I even tried saying 'NO!' firmly, then blowing with no result.

Also, when I attempt to hold him, he runs away from me or makes a kaking noise.

My hand is throbbing with pain right now. I have three bleeding bites on my right hand.

I'm considering just leaving him in his cage and not attempting to hold him or be social with him.

This is my last hope...I need advice, please.

Wow, I have never read about such an aggressive chinchilla before! Usually a chinchilla will nibble and find out that you are not good to eat and then stop. Did he come from a pet store or a breeder? Can you elaborate on his living situation, feed, cage? I would stop trying to pet him for now, maybe just give an occasional healthy treat and then shut the cage door but hang out and talk to him without trying to touch him. Where is his cage, is it in a room where you are often? Just trying to think of ways to socialize without making him territorial...I'm sorry you are dealing with this but maybe the little guy has a reason for being aggressive (like mistreated before you got him...) and needs a little more time to chill out.

Where did you get him from? If it was a breeder you should find out if this was an issue before.
Also, keep in mind that a month is not very long. Sometimes it takes several months to gain your chins trust. I think you need to take a step back. Start by just establishing a daily routine w/ him as far as feeding times go and spend time sitting next to the cage talking to him but not interracting really. Let him fully adjust to his surroundings and learn that you are going to provide for him.
Another thing that might help is to make sure your hands are clean when you do get to the point of sticking your hand back in the cage. and make sure that you don't use yummy smelling soap. I have had chins that would bite me depending on the soap i used. It took me FOREVER to figure out what was going on, but I finally made the connection. My bathroom soap was green apple scented. I have since discovered I cannot use that or watermelon or the chins will think I am a treat.
Oh that was the other thing... chins under 6 mo really shouldn't have treats. So while I know the purpose is to help you make a connection with your chin be very careful in not over feeding the treats.

AND if he does continue to bite dont keep blowing in his face. Actually what I found worked best with my rescues that had a problem was just to not react at all. I know sometimes that is VERY difficult, but sounds like he is just getting aggitated w/ your reaction, so try to avoid having one. If he bites pull your hand out, close up the cage and walk away

Last edited:
I think the above suggestions are great, and will help you a lot. I would also like to add my experience with young, bitey chins. Since your chin is still quite young, I think it is a bratty phase they go through. If your chin is housed alone, try getting him a cuddle buddy so he can work out his dominance, aggression issues on something inanimate instead of your hand. Other than that, just take it slow, and hopefully with patience, he will grow out of it.

all the advice given is great. as said above, it seems he doesn't like being blown in the face. The breeder I got my boys from never recommends it. Everyone is different but i've never tried it after asking my breeder because I also read you can blow in there face when they bite.

I would take a step back and start over. Sit by the cage and talk to him or read him a book, etc. Don't interact with him as much quite yet. Some chins take longer then others. I got 2 the same day and the one has really opened up the other one is still a bit iffy so i'm taking my time with him. He'll come around, just slow down and try not to let it discourage you. Take it easy on the treats if hes young also. Maybe you could just take a piece of his food as a treat and put it in your hand when he's ready for that step.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I did indeed buy him from a breeder. I called his previous owner today, and he said NOT to blow in his face or react if he bites! The man also gave me some suggestions, like not to wear leather gloves as he thinks they are simply a chew toy. He also explained that since he is still a baby, he may bite out of curiosity, not of harm. He really gave me a confidence booster.

Today he has calmed down a little bit. I think the reason why he bit me was because I was blowing in his face and it startled him! I put my hand in, he jumped on it and I was really nervous he would bite me. He nibbled at my fingers then chomped down on the side of my hand. It hurt, but I clenched my teeth and he continued to nibble.

I think for some reason, yesterday in particular, he was really wild and energetic. Today he is a lot more quiet and calm, it's amazing!

Maybe it's because I rarely put my hand in there, and have never made an attempt to hold him, is why he bit me. He mustn't be used to my hand.

I also put in his cage a stuffed penguin. He snuggled against it and dragged it around the cage, it was quite funny!

Once again, thanks for the suggestions. Today seems to be a much better day than before. I will continue to slowly work with him. If he bites me a lot more, I will take your suggestions and read and talk to him.

Have you had him out of his cage for playtime yet and if so, does he still bite you? I've got this new chin here, had him for two weeks now and he is constantly biting me. They're not really hard bites but enough to pinch me and say: "OWE!"

Strange thing is, I was told that it was his cage mate that was the nippy one and not him. Not true now. He is a total sweetheart when I let him out though and he climbs all over me and sits on my feet and I can even pick him up and cuddle him but he does not like it much when I put my hand in the cage and even when I go to pet his buddy Rupert, he comes over and nips my knuckles. He's even worse when I try to pet him from the outside of his cage and yesterday he did bite the top of my finger and it did bleed a bit so now I've decided that I'm not going to put my hands near the outside of his cage b/c he seems very territorial of it.

I have had one really hard chin bite before and wow did it ever hurt and it bled like a pig so Buster's biting isn't anything like that but he does seem to have this thing where he gives me his teeth a lot and I find it so odd b/c none of my other guys do that. He is settling down though so hopefully he'll stop biting me soon.

Like others have said, a month is a very short time in the life of a chinchilla so try not to worry about it too much and keep to your routine of feeding him, talking to him and I like to play a soft radio station at night for them when I go to bed as well as I have a nightlight on for them. They are creatures of habit so it certainly won't hurt to keep a routine and try not to rush the petting and reaching into the cage thing.

I'm sure the stuffed animal you put in is ok, but please make sure it doesn't have any plastic parts (like eyes!) that your chin could bite on or bits that can be torn off or chewed like strings or fuzzies.. I have no idea if they will eat fake fur (never willing to try it out) but keep that in mind. I buy baby stuffed animals with the super soft plush bodies and no plastic. :thumbsup: Also- no one has mentioned playing music for the chin during the day.. You might try that to calm it also :)

I am sorry about your poor hands. I know how you feel, I have a 4 year old female that out of the blue started hating me. She is most likely pregnant, which explains the change... What has been working is I will just leave my hand in her cage and talk to her. If she bites I blow a little air on her shut the cage and leave her alone for a few hours. If she climbs on my arm I will give her a treat. She still will bite once and a while now, but at least I can feed her and change the cage without getting chunks of my hand removed.
Washing your hands is a must, and watch out if you handle other chins or pets before you go near the biter. I found if I pet my cats the chins can smell them on me and it makes them upset.

Washing your hands is a must, and watch out if you handle other chins or pets before you go near the biter. I found if I pet my cats the chins can smell them on me and it makes them upset.

I keep a bottle of Germ-X hand sanitizer by my chin room door. I use some every time I begin working with the chins, it cleans, removes any delicious smells and keeps your skin oils to a minimum on those precious coats! Also I found that one of my nibbly chins didn't like the taste after I used it lol.

Hang in there with your little biter. One of my 3 chins was a biter & now he's
just the sweetest (& smartest) of all. I always made sure i had lots of sticks
for him to bite & chew--that seemed to work; along with the firm (ouch) from
me. He's still a little too big for his britches!hehe

Back