Biting/nipping + lightly blow method FAILED.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing in blood is toxic to them, But there is a huge difference between biting and nibbling, when a chinchilla bites you bleed.

Tiffany, when bitten, pretend it doesn't bug you. Don't make a noise or pull away- that's what they want! Instead, when bitten (sorry, for this one you have to grit your teeth and bear the bites) push you finger towards him and up in his stomach. This will confuse him to no end and he will eventually give up.

Exactly how many biting chins have you tried this with? They won't get confused, they won't stop biting and more likely they'll just get more angry and bite harder.

PLEASE, for the sake of the forum, DON'T give advice that you are just repeating from something you read one time somewhere and haven't truly put to the test.

Spooky sprays/bites when I am trying to shoo her away from somewhere she shouldn't be, and I don't react anymore, just pick her up and place her elsewhere.

i actually thinking blowing lightley makes them think your going to eat them becasue animals that track them down do typically blow on them right before they eat them so i dont think this method has worked. Chilie used to bite me and i tried blwoing and that didnt help i sprayed her once and she stopped. sorry i cant be of much help

Do NOT spray your chinchilla with a water bottle. Wet chin = fungus.

That is what Peggy said to do on CNQ when someone else or maybe it was me having a problem with the spraying. First someone said to rub her in the spray cuz they don't like it (which for me worked to a point), but again, Peggy (TUNES) said, use a water bottle, so I am just going by what she said. But again I'm saying not to drench her. Just spray her lightly.

Everyone says something different, I'm not saying you haven't had chins for a long time cuz I don't know so don't take that the wrong way cuz I'm not trying to offend you, but I know Peggy has, so I trusted what she said. Even oxchincerelyxo said the same thing earlier in this thread.

Jean

Last edited:
That is false just because you spray your chin doesnt mean they will get fungas. a spray bottle sprays a mist... uh hello its not like your spraying them 23x they will do just peachy with one spray

Nothing in blood is toxic to them, But there is a huge difference between biting and nibbling, when a chinchilla bites you bleed.

She tries, if I didn't jerk my hand away she'd definitely make me bleed. So even with the medication I'm on, my blood still won't be toxic?

Lightly spraying your chin with a water bottle will not cause fungus to suddenly spring up. You do one quick mist and that's usually all it takes. You're not trying to soak them down, you're just trying to back them off.

Just as little FYI, fungus does not just come from being in a wet environment or a dirty cage. In fact, I've seen chins in hideous environments who never had a bit of fungus. Fungus can also be as a result of an immune system issue, perhaps their immunity is down due to being sick, stress, etc., and that's when you can see fungus flare.

Brandon - There is no way when a chin has a hold of my finger I am going to "bite the bullet" and let them continue biting in an effort to confuse him. I don't know where you read that, but I doubt a chin is just going to stand there and let you get at it's belly. The more you push, the more it's going to drag. Sounds like pain and a really bad bite would be the only result.

ETA: The spray bottle was for a SPRAYING chin, not a biting one. I never said to use it on a biting/nipping chin.

I have tried this with Binx. I pushed, Binx got all weirded out and backed off. When we were doing his medication, trying to scoop him up was a nightmare. He drew blood from me, my mom, and my vet.

Another thing, when she DOES bite, dont pull back,,, but PUSH towards her. It confuses her. AND dont leave. Push back, make her gag if that is what it takes, and just stay there. She is doing it to either punish you or make you go away.... she will not understand pushing back towards her mouth, and if you dont leave.... it will really stump her.

This was said in Yahoo Answers when CnQ was down.
I have TRIED this and it HAS worked for me. I told Tiffany she could try and use gloves even though I just bit my lip and went through the pain. (Which was probably stupid, seeming how I could have used gloves.)

Last edited:
That is what Peggy said to do on CNQ when someone else or maybe it was me having a problem with the spraying. First someone said to rub her in the spray cuz they don't like it (which for me worked to a point), but again, Peggy (TUNES) said, use a water bottle, so I am just going by what she said. But again I'm saying not to drench her. Just spray her lightly.

Everyone says something different, I'm not saying you haven't had chins for a long time cuz I don't know so don't take that the wrong way cuz I'm not trying to offend you, but I know Peggy has, so I trusted what she said. Even oxchincerelyxo said the same thing earlier in this thread.

Jean

Jean, you haven't offended me at all. I have always been under the impression that even a little bit of dampness over time can cause fungus. I was not aware of the thread on CnQ. Like you, I would trust Peggy's advice, as she's owned chins for quite some time and has given me very sound advice in the past. Also, she is able to give the advice with an excellent command of the English language (including, but not limited to: proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation). Now, there are certain people's advice that I would not trust, but Peggy is not one of them (for the reasons listed above).

In sum, one of the reasons that I frequent this forum is to learn new information such as this. I'm pretty sure I learn something new every day.

D'aww, I'm already self concious abut my feet. I wear a size 8 1/2 so they're quite the big 'uns.
I also know it's not the scent of food because I always wash my hands before handling them with a scentless soap. Maybe she's just moody, who knows. I'll just have to try the leather gloves and see if that works.

Pfft. I wear a size 10 shoe. Get over it. :p

As for the biting, I really don't have any advice over what everyone else has said. My new rescue boy has now started to do this as well. Every time I try to pet him he bites, hard. He sniffs, and then chomps. I think me hand feeding him his pellets may not have been a good thing (but he wouldn't eat on his own!). I have started the eather glove thing, so I will see how that goes. Blowing hasn't done anything but make him give me a dirty look.

Jean, you haven't offended me at all. I have always been under the impression that even a little bit of dampness over time can cause fungus. I was not aware of the thread on CnQ. Like you, I would trust Peggy's advice, as she's owned chins for quite some time and has given me very sound advice in the past. Also, she is able to give the advice with an excellent command of the English language (including, but not limited to: proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation). Now, there are certain people's advice that I would not trust, but Peggy is not one of them (for the reasons listed above).

In sum, one of the reasons that I frequent this forum is to learn new information such as this. I'm pretty sure I learn something new every day.

Just wanted to make sure because some people take things the wrong way, I'm glad it didn't come off wrong. Thanks for telling me you were not offended, that was awful nice of you.

ANd it really did work wonders with Noel's spraying. Cutting her whiskers I think (forgot who said that, probably Peggy too) worked wonders on the biting.

Jean

Guys - I'm being misquoted here, so let me just reiterate quickly:

Spraying chin = Try using a water bottle to mist.
Whisker cutting = To help cut down dominance over another chin.
Gently blowing in the face = Biting chin.

Try wearing a pair of gloves, thick leather gloves. I had to do that once with a mom who was positively vicious (that, and my carpal tunnel brace). After three or four bites, she figured out it didn't hurt me and she gave up.

Guys - I'm being misquoted here, so let me just reiterate quickly:

Spraying chin = Try using a water bottle to mist.
Whisker cutting = To help cut down dominance over another chin.
Gently blowing in the face = Biting chin.

Try wearing a pair of gloves, thick leather gloves. I had to do that once with a mom who was positively vicious (that, and my carpal tunnel brace). After three or four bites, she figured out it didn't hurt me and she gave up.

Sorry for misquoting you. I said it all wrong. BUt now that you worded it this way, you are right, i did say it wrong.

But everything you have said did work wonders with Noel.

Jean

If she is biting when you give her scritches, don't give scritches. Pebbles hates scritches and will bite if you give her them. She's fine if held or petted, just don't scritch. It took me forever to convince everyone else in this house that she just doesn't like it. Once people stopped trying, she stopped biting.

If she is biting when you give her scritches, don't give scritches. Pebbles hates scritches and will bite if you give her them. She's fine if held or petted, just don't scritch. It took me forever to convince everyone else in this house that she just doesn't like it. Once people stopped trying, she stopped biting.

She just likes to bite in general. Unless I'm giving her the occasional piece of crushed rose hip, she bites reguardless. I could get her out and sit down in her play area so I can watch her and she'll run around, then notice me, run up and bite whatever she can get ahold of. I think she's just a bit on the grumpy side, who knows.

Back