Biting/nipping + lightly blow method FAILED.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

My chin Doof has a terrible habit of nipping/biting my finger, so I decided I'd try the 'lightly blowing' in her face when she bites my finger. At first, it was going great. Each time she bit, I'd softly blow on her face and she'd let go and get more and more hesitant to bite my finger. I thought "Holy crap, I won't have to worry about bit fingers" then, she did it.
Next thing I know, If feel something warm on the side of my face. Haha, yeah, you guessed it! I got sprayed.
So, after washing the 'shame' from my face, I go and sulk for a litte while.
I don't know what to do with her anymore. Crap, this is really getting old.
Any suggestions?
PS: You can laugh to a certain extent about getting sprayed in the face, I'm trying to laugh on the inside (NOT WORKING!) right now, but please don't take it over bored lmao.

First, I'll assume this isn't the gentle nibbling that chins do when they're trying to be affectionate and groom you.

If it isn't the grooming nibble, the next time she does it, kack at her like another chin would if they got annoyed. Here's the link to the chinchilla sounds page, so you can listen closely and perfect your kack (I'm half kidding) :) http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

It's been done to me by NOel so I know the feeling.

All the experts say were leather gloves, they will stop biting. If she sprays you, spray her back with a water bottle, don't drench her, but spray her.

I also cut Noel's whiskers because she was such a *itch with the biting and she has stopped biting and spraying me. ANd yes spraying is really gross, but and no offense, it's funny when it happens to someone else... Sorry!!! but i know it all too well,

Jean

Best of luck.

First, I'll assume this isn't the gentle nibbling that chins do when they're trying to be affectionate and groom you.

If it isn't the grooming nibble, the next time she does it, kack at her like another chin would if they got annoyed. Here's the link to the chinchilla sounds page, so you can listen closely and perfect your kack (I'm half kidding) :) http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

I wish it was the gentle nibbling, she bites for blood lol. At first I thought it'd be the gentle biting, but after she gets her teeth on the skin she'll bite down hard, grind, do anything trying to bite through my finger. I'll definitely get my kacking perfect =P

ANd yes spraying is really gross, but and no offense, it's funny when it happens to someone else... Sorry!!! but i know it all too well,
Oh I know, I cackled when I heard about someone getting sprayed in the mouth, but now I think my pride is just a tad bit hurt lol.
On a side note, I went through and played a lot of chin noises and they got soooo still and just listened. It's like they knew "HEY! Someone else is making those noises...I demand to see the new arrivals"

Tink will ocassionally bite me too hard and I just tell her NO in a firm voice and don't give her any attention for a few moments. I don't give her any attention so she learns to associate her behavior with loss of my attention. Meaning, good behavior gets attention, bad behavior and I ignore her. Seems to work for her...

So sorry you got sprayed. I have never been sprayed - yet, and hope I never do. I guess they know how to get even with us when they want to!

I was just going to say the same as PeachyDays. Spraying your chin isnt good, perhaps stop sticking your fingers in the cage?

Does she bite out of the cage? Do you give her treats thru the cage bars? That may attribute to the biting.

It's probably even better if you wipe the spray off wherever you got sprayed, on your hand, and just "flick" it back at her!
If it starts a war, please get it on film!! haha!

I don't suggest blowing in your chins face no matter how gently it is done and absolutely do not spray your chin using a spray bottle. All this will accomplish is her not trusting you even more.

For chins that will bite or nibble too hard, don't stick you fingers in the cage, always open the door to pet them. If she starts to bite say NO in a firm voice and pull your hand away. I have also given a little 'yip' sound like another chin would when they groom each other a little too rough and it always gets their attention and they stop biting right away.

My Bobo is quite the biter and sprayer and nothing I have tried, blowing, lightly kacking and telling her no stops this behavior in her. This is just the way she is. She is very territorial of her cage and I personally believe it also has something to do with the fact she and her daughter are cagemate--I believe Bobo will defend GiGi always no matter the age. Once the door is open and Bobo is in my arms only then does she calm down and allow kisses and pets. She actually sleeps in the crook of my arm. She just does not allow petting of any kind through the cage bars--however she will take a treat.

Of my 8 chins she is the only one who is like this and she is my first chin, and therefore holds an extra special place in my heart, so I don't care that's they way she is. I've just accepted it.

I would like to say with time and patience this may change for you and your biter chin, but Bobo has been like this with us for 2 years. I can say she doesn't spray nearly as much anymore and where she used to bite very hard and draw blood she no longer draws blood and even the nips aren't too bad.

For spraying chins, you can wipe it back on them. You can also do a list mist-won't cause fungus unless you're doing it too much. Only spray once, not over and over. I know many people on here that have done that.

Get leather gloves for when she bites. This will stop you from giving her a reaction and will get her to stop biting her. :thumbsup:

Nah, it's not just when I put my fingers in the cage, it's when I have her out, I'm holding her, etc. Sometimes when I have her out for playtime she'll even run up to me randomly like she wants snuggles and chomp me real good. She loves to bite my toes and that's a real pain. Fingers don't bother me as bad, I grew up doing yard work, gardening on my grandpa's farm, and had a crap load of hamsters who also bit, but my toes are sensitive haha. It's not like she just targets me, it's my mom too and anyone else who's brave enough to try and give her scritchins. I'll see if I can get ahold of some leather gloves this weekend, see if that helps any.

Tiffany, my chin Gordon used to hide underneath the recliner and attack my son's feet whenever he walked past. Only my son's feet for some reason (probably because he's size flipping 15!) anyway Gordon got him good a few times on the toes and feet.

I say leather gloves are a good choice.

Tiffany, my chin Gordon used to hide underneath the recliner and attack my son's feet whenever he walked past. Only my son's feet for some reason (probably because he's size flipping 15!) anyway Gordon got him good a few times on the toes and feet.

I say leather gloves are a good choice.

D'aww, I'm already self concious abut my feet. I wear a size 8 1/2 so they're quite the big 'uns.
I also know it's not the scent of food because I always wash my hands before handling them with a scentless soap. Maybe she's just moody, who knows. I'll just have to try the leather gloves and see if that works.

Tiffany, when bitten, pretend it doesn't bug you. Don't make a noise or pull away- that's what they want! Instead, when bitten (sorry, for this one you have to grit your teeth and bear the bites) push you finger towards him and up in his stomach. This will confuse him to no end and he will eventually give up.

Grins.......I've been sprayed too. Right in the chest standing face to face with a female. She only did it once after she came here. I had quite a look of disgust. Another little girl I have bites hard. She has been here for almost a year and just NOW is not biting as hard. I have learned not to point the finger and place it in the cage, but rather curl the pointer finger in and have just the knuckle showing. This morning she suprised the heck out of me and wanted to sit in my arms near her cage. This has never happened. I'm still trying to figure out why they were made to be so soft and sweet looking with oh so adorable faces and the teeth of a demon!!!

Tiffany, when bitten, pretend it doesn't bug you. Don't make a noise or pull away- that's what they want! Instead, when bitten (sorry, for this one you have to grit your teeth and bear the bites) push you finger towards him and up in his stomach. This will confuse him to no end and he will eventually give up.

Oh wow, I've never thought of that. I have tough skin but wow, it still hurts. She tries her best to break the skin. What do I do if she bites hard enough to bring blood though? Is there anything in my blood that might be toxic to her?

Oh wow, I've never thought of that. I have tough skin but wow, it still hurts. She tries her best to break the skin. What do I do if she bites hard enough to bring blood though? Is there anything in my blood that might be toxic to her?

You can try to wear leather gloves while doing the procedure. However I wouldn't imagine anything in your blood would be toxic. Just wipe the blood away.

You can try to wear leather gloves while doing the procedure. However I wouldn't imagine anything in your blood would be toxic. Just wipe the blood away.

I am on medication, that's why I asked. I'm worried she'd get it in her mouth and it'd be disasterous. I'll hold off til I can find the gloves though, just t be on the safe side. None of my other chins do it, Bubbles will only nip my fingers to make sure it's not food because she's got bad vision, but once she realizes it's not nummys she'll let go.

Back