Birth weights up lately?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinniechantel

Has anyone else noticed that their herd's birth weights have been higher lately? I am having more and more 55+ gram kits born, where before that was rare. Even with multiples, they have been good sized. I have been seeing more high 60 and even 70g kits being born on the boards, so I am just curious.

I've noticed the same thing. Just had a Mom give birth to a 66 and 75 gram baby. Neither made it, but all the others have been 56-70 grams. Just weird. I thought it was just me. No changes in diet or anything.

Well, let's see those "big uns" Chantel - miss your pictures!

I agree I am seeing larger kits and larger litter sizes. I figured it was my feed but it seems other people are seeing it too.. I just had a litter of trips born and 2 were 50 g and one was 48g thats darn nice for trips before that had trips where one was 60g and the others were high 40's and 50's those are large babies and thats not using any suppliment... Curious to see what others have to say..

Hmmm, Kathleen, what food are you using? I have been using PANR for about 8 months now and I thought it must have something to do with that. I also have noticed a few times that the births have come about 116 days after a mating plug, when usually it would be exactly 111. Interesting.

I had been using penpal 18% for quite a while but do to not being able to get it fresh any more and the horrible stories I was hearing I am in the middle of a switch to PANR . So hopefully my production stays the same. I am happy with how fresh the PANR is since the mill is only in Fort Worth thats only 2 hours from me :)

Weights have been noticeably up for about 6 months, so it makes total sense. They have not been too large, yet, I hope they stay this way, big and healthy!

most of my babies are 55-60 grams,... but i am not seeing much difference from last year

eta- i feed Tradition pellets

Last edited:
Back