Birds and Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gella

I'm curious how many people on here own both birds and chinchillas. I'm considering adding a bird to our family at some point and want to know how their lifestyles might contrast. I'm not talking about housing them within contact of each other or letting them play together, but more will bird noise/chin noise upset the other, do temperatures severely clash, etc.

I own a cockatiel and a B&G Macaw, and may be adding a cockatoo, but we haven't decided yet.

Sparky screams like an eejit and the chins completely ignore him and keep sleeping. He tries to talk to them, but despite saying Hello cooooonstantly, they never answer him back. (He also tries to talk to the bun while she toodles around the house -- she never answers either.)

Their noise? Pffft. Doesn't even phase him.

Temperature wise I keep an a/c on in the entire downstairs and just set it at one temperature. Birds do fine, fuzzies do fine.

I have my parakeets set up close to the chin cage and I have a cockatiel in the living room where the woodstove is. The parakeets are noiser as a group than my tiel. Sometimes when the keets get overly noisy it can temporarily spook my chin, Tinkerbell, but they coexist just fine with eachother. The keets live in cooler conditions since they live in the same room as Tink, and they do just fine. I don't see any issues with adding a bird to your household. I love having the diversity.

I've got more birds than I care to count :D (ranging from little birds to large parrots such as a cockatoo, grey, mini macaw and a B&G macaw) and 5 chins all in the same room. Like Tunes said, my chins aren't bothered by the noise at all.

I swear my chins could sleep through anything! They don't wake up when I use the shop vac during the day, when I have music playing, when my brother's being loud and obnoxious :rolleyes:, etc.

I just have to be careful when hanging toys in the chin cages, cause if any part is sticking out of the cage; it's fair game for the birds! lol lol.

Temperature wise, I do the same as Tunes, one temp for the room and all is fine for everybody!

I have an African Grey and two lovebirds. They are in the living room and the chins have their own room. Everyone has been groovy for 3 years +.

I just thought I'd also throw out there that chins are not the softest playing pets in the world. I always know when someone is playing or running on the wheel etc. If they can stand each other they should be able to stand the birds-which I can see has been sucessfully proven ;):thumbs:

I raise birds everything from Lovbirds to macaws, we have lost count on how many but everyone does fine living together. The biggest thing you need to watch out for is the dust, Chin dust is not good for them to breath in. As far as temperatures, birds don't require it to be hot just not near a cold draft. A steady cooler temp is fine.
And birdies love willow balls and toy boxes!

I raise from parrotlets and lovebirds to ringnecks and conures and no one seems to care. They are kept in separate areas due to the temp difference but before the chinchillas were moved to their new space the noise never seemed to affect them.

I have 8 cockatiels, 2 parakeets, a jenday conure, and 2 quakers. The birds are in my living room and the chins are in my bedroom, so a good 20 ft away. My chins can hear the birds, but have never been bothered by the noises. My jenday is for sure the loudest, but the chins haven't paid attention to it from what I can tell. On the other hand, I can barely talk on the phone with the birds talking, haha. You'd be amazed at people when they call and are like, "you have birds?" Hahah.. if only they could live with them.

Back