Bird cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchilla

Be very, very afraid
Hey all!

My first question and the reason I joined was some advice on a potential new cage. I thought about getting a FN since I already had a CN. The CN's bars break from the chins when they jump on their ledges or anything else in the cage. I contemplated a FN since I was hoping it was more sturdy than my CN.

However, I realized I had an old bird cage up in the attic that has been there for like 4 years, taking up space. I brought it down and put it together and am going to modify that. If done right, I have read that bird cages can make good homes. Not to mention, it will save me a ton of money right now while everything else in life is going wrong. Curse you, Murphy!

Is this okay? Things I'm doing:

• Buying KD pine today for shelves and hut
  • Purchasing a chin spin
  • Planning layout so no chin will fall to bottom of cage

Picture of cage:

Cage1.jpg

Appreciate it!

Looks like it has potential to me. You're taking out that plastic wheel once you get the chin spin right? My chinchilla doesn't chew on plastic, but many do. Otherwise it looks like it'll make a good cage. I don't own a FN (I own a feisty ferret cage that is very similar, only it doesn't have double doors on each level) but it seems that they are well liked, and if I recall correctly, actually cheaper than CN cages.

I personally love the looks of an aviary cage. When I first got my boys and only had 2 chins, I also used an aviary as their cage. The only thing I disliked about it was when I had to clean it. It was difficult to get in and clean certain areas of the cage. This was there set-up.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

I also really like the look of the aviary cages. I use Ferret Nations now, but when I had just one chinchilla I used an aviary.

What is the bar spacing? 1 inch is fine, that's the same as a FN, but 1-1/2 inches is not and will have to be covered in wire. I know first hand how they will get out of the larger spacing. It is a very nice cage.

The cage is very attractive and looks like it will make an awesome chin
home! Post pics when you're done, I would love to see it!:thumbsup:

Thanks all! I was worried that I was going to get shot down on the idea, this makes me feel excited now as I don't feel as if I'm hurting them.

You're taking out that plastic wheel once you get the chin spin right?

Yes, they occassionally will try to bite their dust bath house so I don't want to take a long term chance with plastic in the cage. Thanks!

I personally love the looks of an aviary cage. When I first got my boys and only had 2 chins, I also used an aviary as their cage. The only thing I disliked about it was when I had to clean it. It was difficult to get in and clean certain areas of the cage. This was there set-up.

OMG that set up looks amazing! Yeah, I can see what you mean about cleaning, I even have a smaller door than you. :rofl: However, it will save me much needed monies right now so I'll have to go with it.

What is the bar spacing? 1 inch is fine, that's the same as a FN, but 1-1/2 inches is not and will have to be covered in wire. I know first hand how they will get out of the larger spacing. It is a very nice cage.

1 inch spacing, I was worried at first since a lot of the recommendations say 1 x 1, but I don't think they can get through.

I'll post pictures when I'm finished, hopefully by a week, no later than 2 weeks!

I also like the look of the birdcage! My quaker parrot would love it! I think your chin would be just fine in it, as you say the spacing of the bars isn't greater than one inch. As mentioned, I think cleaning it will be the biggest hurdle for you. I have a midwest 3 level cage, and it is a nightmare to try and clean. But that may be the lesser of two evils since you are saving yourself some money. You could always start with this cage, and if it is a nightmare to keep clean, then you can save up for a fn at a later date.

It looks like it has a pull out tray to help with cleaning, but when the tray is pulled out the gap may be over 1 inch and they will escape through there, so put them in a carrier while cleaning. I'm telling ya, they are crazy little escaping creatures :)

It looks like it has a pull out tray to help with cleaning, but when the tray is pulled out the gap may be over 1 inch and they will escape through there, so put them in a carrier while cleaning. I'm telling ya, they are crazy little escaping creatures :)

The cage actually comes with a screen for on top of the metal bin (kind of like the sides of the cage). It has a slot that it slides into at the bottom of the cage right above the bin. I think I'm going to cover it with fleece so that when I want to take the bin out and do not want to take them out for whatever reason (maybe quick cleaning?), I don't need to worry about it. Yay! Handy.

I also like the look of the birdcage! My quaker parrot would love it! I think your chin would be just fine in it, as you say the spacing of the bars isn't greater than one inch. As mentioned, I think cleaning it will be the biggest hurdle for you. I have a midwest 3 level cage, and it is a nightmare to try and clean. But that may be the lesser of two evils since you are saving yourself some money. You could always start with this cage, and if it is a nightmare to keep clean, then you can save up for a fn at a later date.

Wow, Jenn. The 2 tiered CN is big for me I can imagine how much trouble you have. I was looking at getting the 3, lol, but they only make if for the FN not the CN. You need a lot of room too. You know my saving grace? I purchased a shop vac on black friday ($28 home depot, FTW) and adore it. I honestly don't know how I lived without it before I had it. I only really use it for cleaning out their cages. It sucks up my carefresh like a dream and any poop that has made it in hard to reach corners. I just wheel it to my garbage and then empty it out and voila, done. My cleaning time has dropped drastically since purchasing it.

Just a little update, it has been a week since I've decided to use the bird cage as the new chin cage and this is where I've gotten so far.

Today, the woodwork got finished (by my lovely boyfriend):

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

We ended up making a hut so that we could utilize all the space. What is great too is that it has a pull out tray for easy cleaning, and we're going to hinge the top off the hut so that we have easy access to them if need be. The part where the hole is can be closed off because it has a sliding door, so if I need to close them in there for any reason, or out of there, I can.

IMG_3003.jpg

I'm honestly not sure who was happier with the cage, me or the chins (probably me).

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

So far, I'm really happy about it. I have fleece liners, hammocks, and tubing on order. I'm also still waiting on their chin spin and I still need to get treats, chew toys and their corner of their new living area set up. Which brings me to my next post.

I really need a Dot Wood Letter "A" and "E" 5 1/2 inch by Plaid (Zephyr and Imp). They've discontinued it and I've been to 5 Walmarts in the past 2 days (seriously). The latest one not even having any letters. I really like the way these look (bubbly) and would love to decorate with them, but will return them if I must and pick up a different set. I'm checking Hobby Lobby, Michaels and some other store tomorrow. If you happen to be in Walmart and are in the crafts section, would you mind peeking and seeing if they have those two letters, I'll reimburse you and obviously pay for shipping, I could give a little extra for your time as well. Thanks!

IMG_3031.jpg

Thanks guys!

That looks awesome! Just watch for chewing on the hut, I can see that as a potential escape hazard!

I was thinking the same thing, which is why they don't have access to the hut yet. I was going to cover the opening and around the bottoms with sheet metal so that they can't chew right there and maybe it will slow them down (since they'd have to try to chew on the flat wall). What do you think?

Thanks guys!

I was thinking the same thing, which is why they don't have access to the hut yet. I was going to cover the opening and around the bottoms with sheet metal so that they can't chew right there and maybe it will slow them down (since they'd have to try to chew on the flat wall). What do you think?

I was thinking maybe attaching wire to the outside of the house, kind of like you'd wrap a cage to make it baby safe? This way they could still chew on the house, but if they make a hole, they can't get through it.

I was thinking maybe attaching wire to the outside of the house, kind of like you'd wrap a cage to make it baby safe? This way they could still chew on the house, but if they make a hole, they can't get through it.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Just make a box out of cage wire and attach it to the cage so it encloses the hut. You could make the top of the wire a door so you can still easily access it. But the hut looks amazing!! I wish I did something like that!! You have one of the nicest looking cages.

I am rarely in craft stores but if I do find myself in one, I'll look out for those circle pointed (er whatever that style is called) letters.

Are those letters (and other similar things at craft stores/walmart) chin-safe wood? I was in the craft section of walmart the other day and wondered that. It looks like pine, but I'm not sure.

Back