Best pellet for weight gain?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

Hi everyone! Long time no post, but I'm back!

A few of you know Watson has lost a bit of weight in the last few months and even after removing his flying saucer from the cage he still managed to lose 30 more grams in 1 month (for a total weight loss of ~75g in 3 months.) He eats his orchard hay and alfalfa cubes like it's his job but he doesn't eat his Mazuri so much any more.

We're coming to the end of the Mazuri and I was wondering if there might be a particular pellet that will put some weight on him (he's about 1 year old and 380grams.)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Has he been taken to the vet to see if there is a health issue that's causing the weight loss?

When my chin stopped eating her oxbow I tried several different feeds to find one she liked. Out of all the American feeds I tried she ate Mazuri the best. Her situation is a little more complicated then just going off her pellets, but anyway I mixed acidophilus with her pellets and offered lots of fresh hay to help her transition.

There are pink pellets high in protein called "Total enhancer". I buy it from Chinworld. It's one tablespoon of pellets per chin per week. 2 of my chins won't eat it. I guess they don't like the licorice smell and taste. But my hetero-beige, who just gave birth yesterday, thinks it's the tastiest thing she's ever eaten. Sometimes I give her a single pink pellet like it's a raisin and she gobbles it up. Just a thought. I've heard of other supplements too with "micro nutrition". I bought a small container about 10 pounds but the chins don't seem to like the smell or taste, so that was a bust. Hope this helps.

I have one chin who I got from a VERY reputable breeder (has had many GSC'S) at the age of 11 months old. Once I brought him home he proceeded to lose 100 gms over the course of 6 weeks - this is without him being placed into breeding and going to the vet several times to find a cause. Other than him not eating any pellets there were no symptoms of illness or injury and both the vet and I were perplexed as to the cause of the weight loss.

He wouldn't touch pellets and I tried several types - even though I even put him back on what the breeder said he had been eating, he wouldn't touch that or anything else. After 5 months of this, I finally decided to give up and feed him nothing but a variety of timothy and alfalfa hay as well as orchard grass. In the past month he has finally started to put weight back on with this hay only diet and has gained back 40 gms.

For now, this is all I can do as I have tried to find anything medical wrong with him and failed - I simply think he is extremely picky!

The best weight gain is slow weight gain by eating pellets and hay. I would not add manna to the diet at this point, rather find a pellet the chin will eat and let him gain at his own pace. That being said, I would watch the chin closely for teeth issues also since chins can maintain weight on a hay only diet when eating enough hay. You could add in slowly some loose alfalfa to help.

Total enhancer is crap and should not be used. A chin should not have high quantities of protein. Calf manna is another "pink pellet" that is just junk food going in.

Many people have issues with Mazuri. I would try and get ahold of Tadition (Stackie may be selling it, you can contact her) or Oxbow (Sandi sells it).

i rescued a chin in october of 2009 and he was only 350 grams at the time, the most i could ever get him to weigh was maybe 425ish. for 1 whole year this little pita would not eat. i tried several differnt brands. i finally started giving him about 10 - 15 beaphaer plus pellets and i weighed him last week and i almost fell over. he was over 600 grams. This little sapphire boy named klinger finally beefed up!
I get the pellets for my chin with dental issues. it can only be purchased from the united kingdom and it costs about 35 - 40 dollars shipped for only 2.5lbs (ithink). you can do a search on it here and get some info. it smells kinda funky. i can probably put a small handful in a envelope and mail it to you to try since he is kinda picky. PM me your info if interested. i dont work for them or nor would i be able to be your supplier, i am just doing a favor.
also i would not feed this food exclusively, as i only use it as a supplement and he now eats his pellets. i just kinda kickstarted his appetite.
also i have used alfalfa in the past to jump start eating.

If it were me, I'd take the chin in to do a fecal float and test for parasites. If it comes back negative you could try sprinkling some Lifeline or Tanya's Broad Spectrum Supplement on the pellets to see if it inspires him to eat. Does he not like timmy hay?

Tanya also has a supplement now that helps with appetite/weight gain. You might contact her and ask her about it.

Tanya also has a supplement now that helps with appetite/weight gain. You might contact her and ask her about it.

Tanya's store is closed until mid August. If you're interested in sampling her handfeeding formula or the appetite/ weight gain I have a large quantity of both and can send you some. Just shoot me a PM.

I would watch the chin closely for teeth issues also since chins can maintain weight on a hay only diet when eating enough hay. You could add in slowly some loose alfalfa to help.

Just recently, I noticed he had some wetness around the eyes so I scheduled an appointment with our vet to have his teeth checked out. He was eating Oxbow Timothy hay but didn’t like it too much so I switched to Oxbow Orchard grass and he loves that. He also eats alfalfa cubes.

Total enhancer is crap and should not be used. A chin should not have high quantities of protein. Calf manna is another "pink pellet" that is just junk food going in.

Many people have issues with Mazuri. I would try and get ahold of Tadition (Stackie may be selling it, you can contact her) or Oxbow (Sandi sells it).

I agree Peggy, I don’t trust much from Chinworld… I’ll try and get a little bit of both and see which one he prefers since he’s such a picky little bugger!

i can probably put a small handful in a envelope and mail it to you to try since he is kinda picky. PM me your info if interested. i dont work for them or nor would i be able to be your supplier, i am just doing a favor.
also i would not feed this food exclusively, as i only use it as a supplement and he now eats his pellets. i just kinda kickstarted his appetite.
also i have used alfalfa in the past to jump start eating.

Yeah I’ve read about Beaphar + being used for malo chins and how well it’s worked for them. Hopefully everything checks out with Watson’s teeth or else I’m going to be ordering it for him! Thanks so much for the offer, I’ll PM you right away :)

If it were me, I'd take the chin in to do a fecal float and test for parasites. If it comes back negative you could try sprinkling some Lifeline or Tanya's Broad Spectrum Supplement on the pellets to see if it inspires him to eat. Does he not like timmy hay?

We have an appt with our vet next week and I requested a fecal float to rule out any parasites and what not already. I'll keep the supplements at a minimum for now, I don't want to introduce too many new foods to him at once - don't need another reason for his GI tract to hate me! He'll eat timmy hay but he seems to prefer orchard grass.

Yes! I remember talking to you about it when you’d just started using it so I’ll go ahead and give it a try!

If you're interested in sampling her handfeeding formula or the appetite/ weight gain I have a large quantity of both and can send you some. Just shoot me a PM.

Thank you very much for the offer! I’ll send you a PM right away!

Thank you everyone for your input! As it stands I will be taking Watson to the vet next week for a fecal float and a dental exam to see if the wetness around the eyes is malo-related, if so we will be doing a full set of x-rays. I’ll keep you guys posted!

Just wanted to post a quick update.

Watson saw the vet shortly after the first post and everything checked out fine. Fecal float came back negative, no progression in his heart murmur, and nothing wrong with his teeth.

Back then he was at 380 grams. I weighed him a few minutes ago and he's up to 587! Little nugget gained so much weight on the Oxbow!

So happy to be the proud mama of a healthy chunky chin :D

Back