Best Cage for One Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe most people have a Critter Nation or Ferret Nation (Amazon has them both- not sure if there's anywhere else besides the manufacturer). From my recent acquirement of my chins, I noticed there is a lot of back and forth between which is the best!

I believe most people have a Critter Nation or Ferret Nation (Amazon has them both- not sure if there's anywhere else besides the manufacturer). From my recent acquirement of my chins, I noticed there is a lot of back and forth between which is the best!
Whether to get a CN or FN depends on the life stage a chin is at. 6 months or younger, single level CN. 6 months or older, double level FN. The CN has weaker bars and people have reported for them to snap. FN requires hardware, making it more sturdy overall and not just a quick snap together build like the CN. FN also has stronger bars.

Thank you for your feedback Dawn! Greatly appreciated!

The Ferret Nation is best if you have an adult chin, stronger bars and bar spacing of 1". Under 4-6 months or if you have other animals that might paw at the cage, the Critter Nation is better, 1/2" bar spacing, but mostly vertical bars that are thinner so you may need to reinforce things or overlap over multiple bars when attaching things (ledges, wheels, etc) in the cage. Other then the bars FN and CN are identical in size and putting them together (both are snap together) unless you get a used cage of the old versions they no longer make which are screw together. A single unit of either is big enough for one chin, but you can buy addon units later if you want a double, or even triple unit cage later. The FN and CN can both be bought from a lot of places, Amazon, PetSmart (in the US), Ferret.com, and Chewy.com to name a few. A lot of those places have sales various times of the year so it's best to compare shop and if you can wait for a sale. They are very study cages that last, so a lot of people have had luck buying used instead of new for much cheaper too, if that is a concern.

Thank you for your feedback Dawn! Greatly appreciated!
The Ferret Nation is best if you have an adult chin, stronger bars and bar spacing of 1". Under 4-6 months or if you have other animals that might paw at the cage, the Critter Nation is better, 1/2" bar spacing, but mostly vertical bars that are thinner so you may need to reinforce things or overlap over multiple bars when attaching things (ledges, wheels, etc) in the cage. Other then the bars FN and CN are identical in size and putting them together (both are snap together) unless you get a used cage of the old versions they no longer make which are screw together. A single unit of either is big enough for one chin, but you can buy addon units later if you want a double, or even triple unit cage later. The FN and CN can both be bought from a lot of places, Amazon, PetSmart (in the US), Ferret.com, and Chewy.com to name a few. A lot of those places have sales various times of the year so it's best to compare shop and if you can wait for a sale. They are very study cages that last, so a lot of people have had luck buying used instead of new for much cheaper too, if that is a concern.
Thank
Thanks Amethyst! What are your thoughts on the Prevue Rat and Chinchilla Cage 495? Seems to be rated very well and I don't want to have to purchase several cages? Thanks!

Thanks Amethyst! What are your thoughts on the Prevue Rat and Chinchilla Cage 495? Seems to be rated very well and I don't want to have to purchase several cages? Thanks!

Size wise it's just ok so long as you only have one chin and give it plenty of out of cage time everyday. It's not much bigger then the bare minimum for a single chin and smaller then a single unit FN cage (the height in the discription is including the stand, which is not in cage living space). There is no way to upgrade later if you want to give the chin more space or if you want to get your chin a friend without buying a whole other cage not just an add on unit. The metal flooring will have to be removed or covered, they are not safe for chin feet. The door is small so you are unlikely to be able to get a wheel (without reinforcing the bars would break anyway) and adding any additional accessories (toys, shelving, ledges, perches, etc), cleaning, or even giving the chin out will be a pain. The whole front of FN/CN cages are doors so the whole front opens. Prevue cages are not as well designed or sturdy as the FN/CN cages, I don't know about this cage specifically but others of that brand tend to rust out and the bars break within months to a couple year, where as FN/CN cages tend to last decades (longer then the chin).

The FN/CN are both sold as singles or doubles, so if you want a double unit you can just buy that rather then a single and an add on later if that's what you mean about not wanting to buy multiple cages. Some people just find that it's easier to budget for a single unit and save up for more add on units later.

Size wise it's just ok so long as you only have one chin and give it plenty of out of cage time everyday. It's not much bigger then the bare minimum for a single chin and smaller then a single unit FN cage (the height in the discription is including the stand, which is not in cage living space). There is no way to upgrade later if you want to give the chin more space or if you want to get your chin a friend without buying a whole other cage not just an add on unit. The metal flooring will have to be removed or covered, they are not safe for chin feet. The door is small so you are unlikely to be able to get a wheel (without reinforcing the bars would break anyway) and adding any additional accessories (toys, shelving, ledges, perches, etc), cleaning, or even giving the chin out will be a pain. The whole front of FN/CN cages are doors so the whole front opens. Prevue cages are not as well designed or sturdy as the FN/CN cages, I don't know about this cage specifically but others of that brand tend to rust out and the bars break within months to a couple year, where as FN/CN cages tend to last decades (longer then the chin).

The FN/CN are both sold as singles or doubles, so if you want a double unit you can just buy that rather then a single and an add on later if that's what you mean about not wanting to buy multiple cages. Some people just find that it's easier to budget for a single unit and save up for more add on units later.
Thanks for your feedback! My only concern about the FN is the tray portion. Is it deep enough so the bedding does not go all over outside the cage? Thanks

Thank

Also, what would be the best bedding for this setup? Thanks

Thanks for your feedback! My only concern about the FN is the tray portion. Is it deep enough so the bedding does not go all over outside the cage? Thanks
I'll go ahead and pop in here to answer. CN/FN cages definitely do not hold bedding inside the cage with the normal pans, so you'd have to get replacement pans or cage guards such as Bass Equipment pans or Full Sets of Cage guards / Poop Guards - SAFEST & MOST AFFORDABLE option for keeping the mess in! Critter and Ferret Nation

I thought you needed something to hold it all in, thanks. What’s the best type of bedding!
Kiln-dried pine or aspen wood shavings. You want to avoid paper at all costs, despite the popularity of it.

I actually use fleece liners as "bedding", the plastic pans for the FN slide right inside. I have a small pan as a litter pan with aspen shavings. Safe bedding/floor options for chins are kiln dried pine shavings, aspen shavings, fleece liners, or tile. As said though if you go with a shaving option you do need deeper replacement pans, the pans that come with the FN/CN cages are very shallow. I would get metal replacement pans, they would contain mess a lot better, but I'm in rural Canada and the shipping price is horrible, lol. Another option, if you go with fleece or tile and don't have metal pans is make or by poop guards, either wood or metal, to go along the bottom of the cage to help keep the poop and hay in the cage.

I actually use fleece liners as "bedding", the plastic pans for the FN slide right inside. I have a small pan as a litter pan with aspen shavings. Safe bedding/floor options for chins are kiln dried pine shavings, aspen shavings, fleece liners, or tile. As said though if you go with a shaving option you do need deeper replacement pans, the pans that come with the FN/CN cages are very shallow. I would get metal replacement pans, they would contain mess a lot better, but I'm in rural Canada and the shipping price is horrible, lol. Another option, if you go with fleece or tile and don't have metal pans is make or by poop guards, either wood or metal, to go along the bottom of the cage to help keep the poop and hay in the cage.
Thanks, I guess untreated wood could work instead of metal, probably safer too.

Back