Bedding / Is this mold or paint?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

I bought it a few months ago and tried to open it found these. Do you think they are mold or just paint?B6002571-ACED-406C-88F1-99CDDC197DBA.jpegBFAB4D16-D19F-4208-AF23-EDEBEB022705.jpeg

I'm honestly not sure what it is. It looks like mold to me in the first picture, but the second picture almost looks more like paint or some other type of pigment...?

Either way, I'd say better safe than sorry. If it were me, I'd err on the side of caution and toss that bag. Even if it's paint, it could still be toxic.

Is it pine? if so it kind of reminds me of the staining from the mountain pine beetle. If so I don't think it's toxic or anything, but I would return it for another bag if possible.

Is it pine? if so it kind of reminds me of the staining from the mountain pine beetle. If so I don't think it's toxic or anything, but I would return it for another bag if possible.
Oh yeah, if it's pine, that's a likely source of that blue staining (and seems much more likely than paint, I was trying to figure out how paint could have gotten on it). I'd assumed it was aspen.

But I'd still err on the side of caution and not use it, just to be safe. I hate waste, but I hate sick animals more.

Thank you for your reply! I will throw it away and I’ll make sure next time when I buy the beddings.

Back