Baytril - How to give via Subq - Not Orally?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneyc8063

My chin unfortunately seems to potentially be having another issue with an abcess. After bringing her to the vet they recommended that I start a course of Baytril/Enrolfloxacin. I have read and heard about supplementing with Acidophilus which I will pick up tomorrow when stores are open again.

But I was wondering, I have heard of some folks that inject the Baytril into their chin and I was wondering how do you do this?

Where do you inject? What gauge needle and how large a syringe?

The last time the vet prescribed Baytril to my chin, she basically stopped eating and we discontinued its use after 3 days of declining weight. I understand the pros to injecting are that it bypasses the gut and goes directly into the blood stream. Which wont affect their gut as much, and will be absorbed much faster/directly then needing to go orally.

Downside is I would have to inject her on my own. I already had the vet give her an injection when she saw her earlier today. And my vet didnt seem to want to encourage me to inject either, which I can understand. But if injecting has more upside then down then I am willing to give it a go.

The vet also gave me another antibiotic Azithromycin - in case the baytril isnt sitting well with our chin so I have this other one on hand to switch to, though after some searching I am getting the sense this may be worse then Baytril

Does anyone have any experience with Azithromycin?

Back