Bath Dust/Sand

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiffyskaar

I was wondering what the most preferred brand of bath SAND is? I have asthma and I have a really difficult time with the dust. Along with an awful hay allergy which obviously is not fun! I always have my hubby give my two boys a bath in a separate room and I can't go in at all. I was reading a recent thread and realized that there was sand! Sounds like a nice little vacation for my lungs! I am excited to hear of this news!

What is your favorite brand? OR what brand is there?

Thanks guys :)

Is there anyone who has personally used it I could get an opinion from? Thanks for the link too by the way. Probably wont buy at petsmart they are always way too expensive at any pet store lol.

Whatever that is should be disclosed, I would not inhale nor would I let my chins inhale a "secret recipe".

I've used the sand from the pet stores and PDZ because of my reaction to Blue cloud. I don't have any sort of respiratory problems and have major issues with it.

The sand works fine, but on very sparse and soft furred chins they never look as nice. On strong furred ones they look normal. The real bonus is that your hands don't dry out if you handle them or the sand afterwards.

I haven't had a reaction to the granular PDZ yet other than my skin drying out from handling it. If you'd like to try some I can send you a little. It comes in 25 or 40lb bags.

I recommend the stuff from the pet store if you don't want any dust at all.

Yeah, it'd probably be better not to use any dust at all, thanks though, I appreciate it a lot! I might email someone from the website and ask them what is in it. I suppose I could always try the brand type of sand and see how it goes!
Thanks guys!

I might email someone from the website and ask them what is in it.
My guess is it is a mixture of some common household things used to dust chins.

Cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, Turf Chalk (used to put lines on playing fields) .. the list goes on.

Using any of the above on a chin for show to alter a chin's color is considered cheating and will get you in trouble. However, for pet use they're safe and perfectly usable. :))

Mixing a coarser item like sand in with the cornstarch to keep it from packing down would make a very usable dust.

Click the store button to the left. Scroll all the way to the bottom. It says email them your wish list and your zip code. =)

Also, I recommend giving Sweet PDZ a try. I have one of my boys using it. Works well for him and doesn't seem to irritate his eyes

I've used the sand from the pet stores and PDZ because of my reaction to Blue cloud. I don't have any sort of respiratory problems and have major issues with it.

The sand works fine, but on very sparse and soft furred chins they never look as nice. On strong furred ones they look normal. The real bonus is that your hands don't dry out if you handle them or the sand afterwards.

I haven't had a reaction to the granular PDZ yet other than my skin drying out from handling it. If you'd like to try some I can send you a little. It comes in 25 or 40lb bags.

I recommend the stuff from the pet store if you don't want any dust at all.

What was your reaction?

I find that when I have rescues come in and they have an awful coat but have been having 'dust' baths it is because they were using the sand. As soon as I start using the regular dust the coat looks much better. I never recommend that 'sand' stuff

Back