Bass Pans

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcscndpgn

If one wanted to get Bass pans and then paint them to match the cage, would you go with stainless or galvanized? What paint would you use? And there’s an off gassing of the paint of 2-3 weeks before it can be put in the cage right? Also would you go with the 2.5 or 3” sides?

Last edited:
The only "paint" that is really considered safe for sure around chins where they can reach is powder coating, it's what is used on cages and chin safe wheels. I'm honestly not sure which holds powder coating better.

Some people said in the past that Rust-Oleum is safe, the kind that is safe for human kids toys, but I'm not sure anymore. Resently I've read people are now saying it's not safe, I'm not sure if the formula changed or if people discovered long term effects. It's probably only safe so long as the chin doesn't chew on it, so only the outside of the pan. If you do go with Rustoium then yes you have to let it air out for a minimum of 2 weeks in a dry place.

Along with what Amethyst said, I would go for stainless. It's more expensive but worth it. I would also do 2.5 inch depth, but only if you don't have loose bedding such as wood shavings. If you have loose bedding, go for 3 inch.

Back