Bandit's Dry Ears (UPDATE)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, as some of you may have seen, one of my chins has a case of extremely dry ears. I've continued the normal schedule, dust baths Wed. and Sun. with balm a day after each dust bath. But, yesterday and today it seems to have worsened. The dry skin now has a cracked pattern throughout both of the outside of his ears, and the raw skin has spread. Whenever I touch the raw skin, he doesn't flinch or give any signs of sudden pain. It's not bright red, just skin pink. The cracked skin does rub off a little if I rub it with my fingers with a decent amount of pressure. He has also been acting normally. I have now since stopped using Bag Balm until I receive further advice, as for some reason when the balm is used, 2 or so days after usage the cracking and raw skin spreads. I'd hate to go to a vet as I don't want him to be separated from his brother Buttons, and he's already had enough stress the past few months.:cry:

I would take her to a good vet immediately. I've never heard anything like this. Honestly it sounds like it may seem to humid or warm in the room. Check the temp in the room before hand and make sure it's at most 70 degrees. Then check humitidy. You can get a dehumidifier which can help alot

So, as some of you may have seen, one of my chins has a case of extremely dry ears. I've continued the normal schedule, dust baths Wed. and Sun. with balm a day after each dust bath. But, yesterday and today it seems to have worsened. The dry skin now has a cracked pattern throughout both of the outside of his ears, and the raw skin has spread. Whenever I touch the raw skin, he doesn't flinch or give any signs of sudden pain. It's not bright red, just skin pink. The cracked skin does rub off a little if I rub it with my fingers with a decent amount of pressure. He has also been acting normally. I have now since stopped using Bag Balm until I receive further advice, as for some reason when the balm is used, 2 or so days after usage the cracking and raw skin spreads. I'd hate to go to a vet as I don't want him to be separated from his brother Buttons, and he's already had enough stress the past few months.:cry:
Also how long has this been going on for? It may be that it's just bandits ears and it will be his norm

It just started off as dry spots, then it increased to this in the past month or so. How long can a bonded pair be separated? I'm willing to take his brother with me, but I'm not sure if he can go into the exam room with Bandit. Again, a vet visit is the last thing I'd like to do as they've already gone through enough stress, but if you think it's serious enough then I'll do it. I also have no way to plug in a dehumidifier.

Edit: I've checked his ears, and it seems like as the days go by the cracked skin darkens a bit and starts to come off by itself, revealing the more normal light gray looking skin underneath. Never heard of shedding chin ears, but here we are.

Last edited:
I didn't see a picture, could you/ did you post one? Is it only on ears? I have had ringworm on 2 of my chillas. It DOES NOT look like it does on a human. (Circle of tiny blisters with dry in center on humans it itches like mad)

If you look at my postings on my account, I have a picture on one of my latest. Should I Bring My Chin To The Vet or something like that. And yes, it's only on his outer ears.

Back