baking soda?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amignatowicz

Ashley
my grandmother brought this up and i was wondering if it was chin-safe. i clean my cages once a week and was wondering if it was okay to sprinkle some baking soda in the corner where they pee to keep it from smelling. i didn't want to do it without first asking around, thanks!

i believe the 'Sweet PDZ' that is used in horse stalls is safe for chin cage use. some people use it instead of dust in the dust bath for their chins.

i personally would change a chin's litter more often than once a week, or at the least do a spot cleaning every day or two to remove the wet/soiled areas of shavings.

White vinegar mixed in warm water does the job just fine.

thanks guys! thats why i asked, didn't want to do anything unsafe for my babies! i only clean once a week because other than that corner, the cage is fine for a week. if it gets bad unusually quick, i do clean sooner.

I also do the same thing as Bonnie mentioned. In any cages that I use shavings in, I spot clean daily. I just throw on a latex glove and go to each cage and grab the shavings that have visible pee on them. It only takes about 20 seconds a cage, and it keeps everything smelling fresher longer.

Oooh. Gonna try the glove trick!

We use glass pyrex litter pans but might as well give that up...lol
we have been using a scooper spatula thingy, but thats a mess. Going to try theglove trick tomorrow!

May I ask, specifically, why?

Its emetic, meaning it foams up in a acidic enviroment, I:E the chinchillas stomach, this can make the chin nauseous and bloated, chins can't vomit or burp so its a dangerous thing for them to get at.

Last edited:
Back