Bad fur?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

I was curious, for a violet chinchilla, what fur qualities are bad? I noticed this violet has white patches on its side (or it made be fur slipping?). Is this good or bad compared to this other chinchilla? Do these patches tend to go away as they age?

111111111111111111.jpg

or even this one

velvet11_s.jpg

compared to

1758191.jpg

imagesCA4WC145.jpg

And how old are they when their fur is done changing and what not? (I know mosaic chinchillas fur changes for a while before its the color it'll stay at)

Your chin looks a little like my Furby, as far as fur quality. Furby is a fur chewer. He kinda gnaws on patches of his fur. I can't seem to break him of the habit, but from what I understand, make sure your chin has enough chew toys like pumice or wood to chew on! otherwise, if there are patches missing that look pink or flaky it might be a fungus. What kind of dust do you use? using bath sand isn't good for chin fur. Is he housed with any other chins? sometimes they chew each other's fur

Both of the top pictures are of lighter phased violets. The bottom 2 pics are dark/ extra dark violets. Not all violets have such distinct veiling. The chins also look greasy which can affect the way their coloring appears.

Thanks for the answers! Do you think the ones at the top will darken/ do those white patches become less distinct? It very well could be the dusting!

It depends. It's hard to see the white patches on the first pic. If a chin gets injured and scarred then then fur will come in white. That will never go away and will deter from the fur quality. They will get knocked on the table but don't confuse it with poor quality especially if you know it is scar fur. I have a couple of animals who have scar fur in breeding. It's not genetic.

The second animal-how old is it? It looks really rough, thin, pinched in at the neck and wedgy. That would be one I would pet out. Love the last one. Third one looks like it has a longer fur length that looks weak. It looks like it lays down. Are 2 and 3 the same animal?

I'm not sure how old the second chinchilla is, I found th picture on google to give an example. I don't know the third or fourth either. A breeder sent me the picture of the first chinchilla and I was very curious about the white patches, since he is only 6/7 weeks if they will fade/ change color. What do you all think?

I believe this is just due to sticky fur or being out of prime.

Try combing the animal thoroughly along the sides and give a good dust bath.

See if this doesn't help.

It really does not give the impression of being chewed from these pictures. You would see cut off fur with only the darker underfur showing.

Also keep in mind they seem to be young and their fur should fill in as they age if the quality is there.

Barbara

http://shootschinchilla.com

That could be it! It looks a little like loose fur to me but I'm really not sure. Maybe it will go away a his fur grows out since he is so young. I can't groom/ dust him because I do not have him at my house yet.

Back