Bacteria in Vulva & bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

So, two of my girls went to the vet today. The vet says they have a lot of bacteria in their Vulva, but its not backed up (i think is what she said). She put them on .4ml of Baytril 1x a day for 2 weeks, when i have their recheck appointment. They are bottom heavy girls who usually have urine staining. I was wondering if them sitting in their urine could be what is causing the extra bacteria. The vet said its possible. Does anyone have suggestions for bedding? I have issues with their dry feet when i use wood shavings, but paper bedding does a terrible job of absorbing. I currently have a mix of Kaytee Clean & Cozy and Kaytee Aspen shavings. The vet said she's been using this bedding from Tractor Supplies that turns to dust when her chins pee on it. Ive seen bedding like that, but didnt think it was okay to use with Chins. Im also terrified of Baytril, so Im still freaking out a little and just want to stare at them 24/7 to make sure their okay =[ Does anyone know if changing the bedding could prevent them from getting bacteria in their Vulva? Anyone experience something similar? Can anyone suggest a good bedding to use?

By the way, it is 22mg/ml of Baytril.
Last question, is there a "best" time of day to give Baytril?

It's normal to have some bacteria in the vulva... how did she diagnose this? Are they symptomatic of an infection of some type? I'm not sure what she means by it not being "backed up"?

She said there's a large amount of bacteria and that its causing them to smell down there. Tainga had a wet neck and chin. When I showed the tech her wet chin a big glob of discharge came out of her vagina. I had the Tec swab it and they looked at it in a slide. My other chin was wetter than usual in that area (I thought it was urine) and she checked her as well. I'm assuming under a slide, but they took her in the back so I can't be sure what they did.

I see a couple of red flags here. Wet neck and chin could be a sign of a dental problem, or a side effect of pain elsewhere. A lot of bacteria + discharge immediately makes me think of pyometra, which is a life threatening infection of the uterus. Usually antibiotics are not enough to clear it up quickly and an emergency spay must be done otherwise the chin can quickly go septic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She had x rays and her teeth were good. They said they checked her uterus and it wasn't infected. This vet did an emergency spay on one of my other chins last year. They also have a recheck in 2 weeks. I'm worried that its something I'm doing wrong. One chin had pyo and I'm told its not common and now two of them have extra bacteria in their vulva. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? What causes extra bacteria in their uterus and vulva?

This is a shot in the dark, but do you have dogs? Do they have access to the same areas your chins play? Reason I ask is a long time ago a member had a couple of female chins get the infection on the vulvas, the dog would lick the poo off the floor and the chins would also do the scoot dance on the same floor, the vet diagnosed the problem was the dog saliva bacteria caused the issue.

Last edited:
Wow that's really interesting! I would never have thought of that, but no I do not have any other pets. I do get licked by my moms dogs every Friday, come home and get sniffed by my girls, but no scoot dancing on me. They do the dance in some areas of the play room though.

I asked in another thread, but ill ask her too. I just switched to carefresh bedding to hopefully absorb more urine. They are trying to eat it. How bad is it for them to eat?

Going well, but new question..

The girls are doing well on the Baytril. They are still eating, drinking and acting normally. One of them is having light brown droppings, but they are otherwise normal. I think its either the Baytril or all the probiotic power i have been giving them.
I do have a new question, if anyone is still watching this... I have to give the Baytril once a day and ive been doing it at 5:20pm everyday. Christmas eve i will not be here at that time. My options are to give the Baytril early or very very late (2am). Is it okay to give early? Can there be any adverse affects of giving it early? How early is too early? I may be leaving as early as 1:30pm, but there may be room to push it back a bit closer to the normal time.
Thank you!

Yes, I have probiotic capsules that I open and put on their treat after play time (at least 2hrs after the antibiotics). Is there any danger of giving the antibiotics too early? If I have to give it 4 hours early is that okay?

Tiquita didn't poop at all during her hour of play time last night, but she's acting completely normal. Running around and surfing the walls and using her flying saucer when she's inside. She pooped after playtime a good amount. I've seen her eat hay, I guess she's just not eating enough. I began giving critical care last night. She enjoys it. I'm worried that she will eat even less on her own because she thinks the critical care is a treat. Will they starve themselves waiting for "treats" no right? How will I know when I no longer have to give her critical care?

I tend to error on the side of caution and will hand feed during illness rather than assume
the chin is eating-you don't want to add bloat or stasis to your mix. But yes, they can become addicted to hand feeding, so you will wean off once the illness is cleared.

They had their recheck appointment on Tuesday and the vet said they are all cleared up. Tiquita's droppings are still very light in color, but the vet said that it's from the antibiotic and will take time to go back to normal. I failed to ask how long. Anyone know? Her last dose was 12/24, its been over a week. :/

Back