Baby vs. Adult. Pros & Cons to buying...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjess10475

Just curious... what factors age-wise do you consider when buying a new chin from a breeder? Do you prefer buying a younger chin who's only a few months old, or an adult? What are some pros and cons?

You may have to baby proof a cage, Jack was 6 months old and still managed to escape from his new parrot cage.
Buying young from a breeder is a gamble as stated. You could win the jackpot by getting a kit and it matures beautifully
Depending who had the adult it may not have been handled much, but taming a kit could be easier
Adults may be less expensive

If you are getting the chin for pet only - and don't care about show/breeding quality... Still, the only advantage I believe there is to buying kits is that, in my experience, they are much easier to pair up with cagemates than adults are. Since they are still young they quite often remain in their submissive role and do not challenge another chin for dominance. Of course, this is not always the case, but as a breeder who consolidates cage space from time to time, I find it much easier to make cagemates of kits 6-7 months and younger than those older. However, I break up pairs often as well, as they sell or as I prepare them for show, so I cannot say if dominance becomes an issue later as they get older.

I do not believe kits can be "tamed." The idea that it is better to buy a kit so you can bond with it/tame it is, IMO, false. Most kits are far too energetic to be interested in people. Yes, they will eventually come around as their hormones settle down, but I doubt it's because you've played with/handled it since it was young. Adults in general are less spastic and, since they can live 15-20 years, there's still PLENTY of time to bond with them.

Last edited:
For anyone looking for a pet, I've never recommended a kit. The only pro I can see to getting a kit is that they're cute and you can watch them grow. Other than that...adults are better to buy. Having many kits here throughout the year, believe me when I say you do NOT want to deal with baby attitudes if you don't have to. Adults are much more mellow and their personalities are established, so you don't get surprises or a lot of boundary testing. If you get a newly weaned kit, you not only have to deal with them through the terrible twos, but you also get the difficult teenager stage.

When I buy breeders, I always want to be able to handle them and not deal with a tremendous amount of attitude. I also want to make sure the chinchilla is the quality that I want for my herd. Buying a young chinchilla never guarantees quality or personality.

For pets...kits are cute. In my opinion, that's about the only thing they have going for them. With an adult, if you're able to spend some time with them before buying or have an honest person who will tell you about them, both the good and bad, you pretty much know what you're going to get. With a kit, they can be as sweet as can be one day, and little turds the next. They'll probably settle down in a year or so, but until then, some will constantly try to figure out what they can get away with. They're still cute though. :D

As far as breeding chins, adults are better. You know what traits they've got and they're ready (or nearly ready) to go right into breeding if you want (no waiting for them to grow up). Kits aren't always going to turn out as nice as their parents so you take a risk any time you buy kits with the hopes of putting them in breeding. Not saying you should never do it, but just understand there are no guarantees.

I prefer adults. You know their personality and they can and will bond with you. Also kits sometimes do not do as well with a transition to a new home. It is a myth that they will not socialize as well. I have picked up many adults over the years and they can be as easily worked with as a kit. IMPO Kits are much more sensitive to changes in the environment. The biggest pro to kits is having them as a baby and watching them grow

I don't know as much as all of the breeders on here but at least imo adults are better for a pet. I've been volunteering at an animal shelter for 5 years and kits are easier to place (babies are often easier to place in every pet species). Adults have harder times finding a home. As said they are also more mellow than kits, and they have developed their personality already.

I have enough babies here - I don't ever buy babies. Everybody goes through the "I must have a baby stage!", then you learn how easy it is to get screwed when you are buying for a breeding program. Not because the seller intends it, but because nobody, ever, can guarantee what a kit will turn out like. I will tell people they come from excellent lines and that previous offspring have turned out like this or this, but that I guarantee nothing with a kit.

The whole bonding issue is a huge bone of contention for me. People always want little baby everythings, they never want an adult. Why? Are adults ugly simply because they are adults? Can only babies be "cute?" I also believe that you can bond, as much as you can bond with ANY chin, with an adult just as easy as you can with a kit. Too many people pass over wonderful adult chins that would make fantastic pets because all they can see are the babies.

I have bought many babies for dogs, cats.
But I now buy Adults, may it be, guinea pig, degu, gerbils, rats etc... Other than what they look like on the outside, I get an official idea of what there personality is.

Actually, other than my breeding animals, I don't really care what an animal looks like as long as it's got the personality I am looking for and want. That is my main criteria in getting a pet. Since an adult's temperment is established, you rarely go wrong.

Last edited:
And as far as being a pet owner, kits SCARE the pants off me, I kit sat two 2 week olds and thought for sure I was going to kill them off somehow.

I already have kits... A few months old. Some are 4 mos, some are almost 7 mos. I actually can't wait for them to grow up! I was just curious though because we do have a 1 year old who was given to us and she's actually the one who is hard to handle! I didn't know if it was always like that when buying an adult.
I agree, kits are super cute, but I think adults are beautiful! I was wondering about age so I knew how bonding would go. Such as, buying an adult from a big breeder. Those chins have generally been in a small cage for a year or more and aren't handled a lot so I was mainly wondering if they would be more difficult to bond with.

My most tame chin ever, he slept on his back on my lap after being fed, came from a large ranch, its the chins personality itself rather than the enviroment for the most part-unless you are talking abused rescues, then its enviroment.

One of my most friendly loveable chinchillas (neptune) came from a large breeder who was proud of the fact that he never handled his animals and kept them in a dark basement room, that breeder is no longer around thankfully but Neptune for all the lack of care and handling when he was a kit is the sweetest animal on earth

Well, I've only had a baby for a day and I hope to never have another one already! Cute as a bug in a rug but I'm a nervous wreck about her. The nerves alone make me never want one again. lol

All my chins were babies when I bought them because I wanted a 'cute baby'. I've also had a rescue chin that I got as an adult. He was the sweetest chin in my house! From now on, it won't matter to me at all the age of a chin. I'm a slow learner, but I do learn. I'd get an adult in a heartbeat from now on, though I have my full quota of chins for now. ;)

I've never had a real young baby animal. My cat we got when she was 10 months, and I had a mouse that I got when she was 6 months. Other than that, it's always been adults for me!! I got Chloe when she was 1.5 years old. Out of 20, that seemed young enough to me.

I've never had kittens or puppies or newborn anything, though I've played with my fair share of baby animals at shelters and vet hospitals. My general opinion has been they seem fantastic in small doses. I wouldn't be opposed to owning a baby animal if say it was left on my doorstep or someone came to me for help, but if I had a preference and there were no extenuating circumstances I'd go for an adult.

I've gotten most of my chins as kits. I have to say, I like them better now that they're older. They're not as spastic, the boys have grown out of the "hump anything that moves" stage, and they're more approachable to me now.

Back