Baby vs. Adult. Pros & Cons to buying...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met my ex's chin when he was less than 24 h. old. His brother died 2 weeks later when he escaped the nursery cage and was stepped on. Cervantes went from a curious and sweet kit to a demanding, territorial pain the arse during the teenage phase, and he turned out to be more than a little bit of a bully to Crash. Crash's personality changed with time too, but he was 3 mo. when he came with us.

With Oasis and V12 (coming soon to a cage near me!) I know what I'm getting. Oasis is a rescue and is a little standoffish and shy. V12 is a cuddle bear that has me wrapped around his little finger already. I know there will be an adjustment period once the boys move in, but that shy or Romeo personality is already there, and that's what I'm getting. None of this "gremlin syndrome" where they're cute and fuzzy until the sun comes out crap.

Poppy is 4 months and while she's very tame (bounces over to see me, comes and sits on my hand every time I open her cage and during playtime will happily sit on me for a bit) I worry so much about health problems that she might develop etc that I think I'd be tempted to get an adult next time (although I guess even then you just can't tell). Breeding isn't something I'd ever want to get into so "quality" wasnt an issue for us.

Well, I bought Chichi off Craigslist and she was a year old. She was soo timid and frightened at first. She opened up a little, but then we had a surprise litter of kits. I have really enjoyed the kits. They bonded to us so well and are soo friendly when compared to Chichi. I don't think Chichi is the norm though. She is very timid. We have only had her since labor day, so I am sure with time she will improve. I know this kind of bonding can even take years.

However, at this moment, the kits have been easier to bond with in my opinion. I only have Chichi to go by though. When I put my hand into Tribble's cage, he jumps right onto my hand and loves to be held and cuddled. Maybe he is weird. LOL.

HA!!! Good to know :) Can't wait. My kits are now 4 months old and for the most part are pretty good. They come right to me. Still skittish on being picked up, but love scritches and attention!! I just love them though. The only one who gives me any problems is Grayson. He just doesn't like to be touched or bothered and he bing bongs all over the place when I open his cage!
I've never been a dog or cat person. Just not into them. My chins, though, I am in love with every day! I'm excited for them to mature.

I haven't had a kit in so long i almost can't remember what it was like. But i do remember them ALWAYS trying to escape. I like both, but i feel more secure with adults. Just my personal preference these days.

But also getting a kit allows you the ability to socialize them, and have t hem get really used to you. I find the adults i buy are less likely to be shoulder chins than the kits I used to have way back when. And I find kits easier to get out of cages...... my adults go all matrix on me when it's time to be checked over.

Last edited:
I feel as though the question has already been answered! Sometimes I wish I had gotten Amal a little younger so I could better un-do the damage done by the neglectful owner I got him from.

The key point I think is, baby animals are jerks, no matter what species. Amal is in the terrible twos and just looooves to pee on everything now. Kittens are made of primarily cute, very sharp parts that they don't know how to use. Puppies need to be taught crate training, potty training, social training, trick training, meal time training etc. Baby lizards and snakes are wicked delicate and if you breathe the wrong way, it's gone.

Older animals are more relaxed (usually), their personalities well developed, and they are less inclined to need re-training, although some have bad behaviours. Their feeding schedules are well set. My post is mostly about all species, not just chins, but I think it's important that people know they don't NEED a baby animal for it to bond to them. My post is a novel so I'll stop now, haha.

I wish more people would realize the fact it is possible for an older(read 1 year plus) chin to bond very well to new owners. You wouldn't believe the trouble I have if I don't place a chin by 6 months of age. I have 2 very nice beige brothers that I've now had for sale for well over a year because I was changing websites during that "magical" baby period. It's not like I mind having them around. I have plenty of room for them, but it just bothers me when people have seen the website but ask "When will you get more babies". With chins living well into their teens people focus way to much on the first 8 months of their life. I know this was a little bit of a rant, but I get so bothered by the constant baby fever.

Awww. I love beige's! I think they're gorgeous! I have a big blocky homo beige and she's the most gorgeous chin ever! Well, to me :)

I wish more people would realize the fact it is possible for an older(read 1 year plus) chin to bond very well to new owners. You wouldn't believe the trouble I have if I don't place a chin by 6 months of age. I have 2 very nice beige brothers that I've now had for sale for well over a year because I was changing websites during that "magical" baby period. It's not like I mind having them around. I have plenty of room for them, but it just bothers me when people have seen the website but ask "When will you get more babies". With chins living well into their teens people focus way to much on the first 8 months of their life. I know this was a little bit of a rant, but I get so bothered by the constant baby fever.

I hear you!

With a kit, they can be as sweet as can be one day, and little turds the next. They'll probably settle down in a year or so, but until then, some will constantly try to figure out what they can get away with. They're still cute though. :D

:hilarious:
That's certainly proved true of Henry. He was as sweet as anything up to about seven months old or so (got him at five months), people would say 'Oh, you're really lucky with him, he sounds such a good chin'...but then, as he got older, he decided to be an unpredictable brat. He might growl at me when I pick him up, he might snuggle up to me. If you'd seen him last night being utterly feral, skulking about low to the floor, and skittering off if I went anywhere near him, you wouldn't think he was tame at all, or that he'd ever been handled in his life. You definitely wouldn't think that this is a chin who, in other moods, will sit on my lap and watch TV with me and give me lots of kissies. Luckily I quite like that about him, I find the mood swings oddly charming. However, I do really wonder what his personality will be like when/if he settles down? He's one year old now.

My next one will definitely be an older chin.

I know what you are saying! And see me, I'd totally be into the adults. And with chins, like you said, they live into their teens so 2 years old is not old at all!
It's like a cat. So many want a kitten, but there are thousands of amazing adult cats that are looking for homes. Even 5 years for a cat is not old. If I ever adopt a cat I'll be for sure an adult.

And now, I might be getting a chin soon. Adult all the way! :D
Not that I'm against babies. I mean, who doesn't love an adorable little puppy? Or any adorable little baby anything?!

But someone's gotta love the "old" ones. :)

To me, they are oldies but goodies. :D

Last edited:
I always have an always will love older chins better, but...you can't get much cuter than chinchilla kits! :)

I'm a pet only home and I have adopted 2 older chins and one kit. I have to say I like my older chins much better. They seem to enjoy spending time with me and they seek out my attention where the little kit just wants to run around and be crazy. I would always recommend an older Chin for anyone looking for a pet. I will be honest in saying that had I gotten my kit first I probably would not have gotten more Chins or enjoy them as much as I do. Now don't get me wrong, I love our little kit, he is very funny to watch and has so much personality and spunk but he just isn't as loving as my older boys and what I love the most about my chins is the bond we have. I'm sure the little kit (Kin) and I will have a strong bond eventually but I think someone needs to calm down a bit before hand, lol!

Ashley

Back