Baby Color Help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipovogel

Hello! I just joined this forum, so please excuse me if this is the wrong place to post.

I own a pair of Chinchillas that have recently had their first baby! The weird thing is, I don't know if the color looks different to me because it is so small, or if it is actually a different color than either parent. During my move across country, much of my household paperwork was damaged due to my shipping company leaving our cardboard boxes in the rain then on a dock mildewing for over a month, and it included everything on my chinchillas that I didn't ship them with. So beyond what I can remember from the breeders I purchased them from, I really don't know much about their genetics, as I hadn't memorized it, just relying on the paperwork I had. The female is a solid medium gray color that the breeder called a medium ebony, I believe? The male I know his breeder said is black velvet and a carrier for another color that I can't recall. The baby is similar to the female in that it is a solid color, but it is so much lighter in color to her that I don't know what color it would be called.

Any help from people more familiar with chinchilla genetics/colors would be greatly appreciated. It isn't too important as the baby is promised to my sister as a pet, but we're both curious that it is a little different than the parents.

I'm also sorry about the low picture quality, my husband is terrible at taking photos.

Thanks!

Attachments

• baby1frontface.jpg
    baby1frontface.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 11
  • baby1side (2).jpg
    baby1side (2).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 8
Back