Baby Chinchilla Diet: Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don't plan to do this but if I ran out of sticks then could chew toys be an alternative? Or are they both absolutely necessary?

Chew toys are more important then chew sticks. Chew sticks aren't really required, but gives them something fresh to chew on everyday, as well as for a kit it can be the "treat" that you hand them to help with bonding.

Chew toys are more important then chew sticks. Chew sticks aren't really required, but gives them something fresh to chew on everyday, as well as for a kit it can be the "treat" that you hand them to help with bonding.
Ok, I may buy the chew sticks, I may not. My grandmother's neighbor has an apple tree and I may just get sticks from there. I'm just afraid I will mess up the sticks again! I will probably wait on those too actually. I didn't know they weren't necessary. I was only talking about till I could get more. Good to know! I will buy chew sticks, just not till I get my puppy money.

Ok, I may buy the chew sticks, I may not. My grandmother's neighbor has an apple tree and I may just get sticks from there. I'm just afraid I will mess up the sticks again! I will probably wait on those too actually. I didn't know they weren't necessary. I was only talking about till I could get more. Good to know! I will buy chew sticks, just not till I get my puppy money.
Well you do want to keep them interested in chewing, and the best way is with new chew sticks, lol. They can wait until you have money though.

Those ceramic huts are very popular right now, lol, they go for about the price you mentioned sometimes a lot more if you can find the old Kaytee "chinchilla bath" ones. They are cute, but rather small for a chinchilla though, most people just use them as an additional hide out or a hay holder. If you aren't too picky you can often find similar ceramic candy containers around the holidays (ghosts, pumpkins, Santa, Easter bunny, etc). Most chins once they are relaxed will lay down and stretch out when sleeping, which they can't do in a little hut like that, so you would still need to buy a proper hut. I normally use these ones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009WH8ZE/ref=twister_B07J67YYCB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 but I did just order https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009HOQEMI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my two (waiting on the mail).

(had to share this pic since it came to mind with this comment about how they lay down, lol, it's Wicket in case you are curious)
View attachment 21333
Most of my chins sleep like that. Perhaps it keeps them cooler lying on their side?

Back