Baby Chin Difficulties

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnhappyRefrain

Hey there! I'm not a new chin owner, but my baby chin is exhibiting behavior that I am unfamiliar with. I have a 4 month old male chinchilla (he lives by himself). I have had him for two months now, but he has not had a grand outing outside his cage yet. The problem is, his cage sits on a little table, so he can't just hop out at his leisure. I tried to coax him out with just my arms, but all he is interested in is humping my arms :)ROFLMAO:). Lastly, I have tried lifting him out of the cage, but he gets way too frightened (he shivers). My question is whether or not there is something more I should be doing for him or if I should just be patient. Thanks in advance!

At only 4 months it's best not to have out of cage playtime anyway, kits tend to over do it. For now it's best to stick with just bonding with him and hold him, you have time to work on building a more trusting relationship. Ideally you want to beable to catch him without chasing once he is old enough for playtime anyway.

At only 4 months it's best not to have out of cage playtime anyway, kits tend to over do it. For now it's best to stick with just bonding with him and hold him, you have time to work on building a more trusting relationship. Ideally you want to beable to catch him without chasing once he is old enough for playtime anyway.
I worried that he might be too young. I'm glad I know definitively now. Thank you!

This is a good time to just work on bonding with him and getting him to trust you. Each chinchilla is different though, and he may come around and enjoy bonding or he may hate it.

My chinchilla is very friendly and if I am not careful, he’ll hop on out any time the cage door is open. He is very easy to pick up and loves to be held. He’s old though and has slowed down quite a bit, so he is easy to catch in the event of an escape. I previously had a female who was quite the opposite. She hated to be picked up and also hated to be out of her cage. I really think it just comes down to the individual chinchilla and their personality.

This is a good time to just work on bonding with him and getting him to trust you. Each chinchilla is different though, and he may come around and enjoy bonding or he may hate it.

My chinchilla is very friendly and if I am not careful, he’ll hop on out any time the cage door is open. He is very easy to pick up and loves to be held. He’s old though and has slowed down quite a bit, so he is easy to catch in the event of an escape. I previously had a female who was quite the opposite. She hated to be picked up and also hated to be out of her cage. I really think it just comes down to the individual chinchilla and their personality.
My last chin hated going out and being held too. I am surprised by how different chin personalities can be! I'm in love with learning more about them!

You can try giving him Cookie treats each day And eventually he will just be coming to you more trustingly. You can try Pandamonium pets on Etsy. They have safe supplies for small pets. Goodluck

Back