Baby Care?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
I recently rescued four chinchillas and one of them is a baby (i didn't know there was a baby till i went to go get them). The people said she is 11 weeks or so born labor day weekend, but she seems to be too small to be that old. I was able to take her to another chin owner and weigh her, she only weighs is 95 grams. They were feeding all four hamster food. Could this be why she is SO small? Second is she old enough to have dust baths?
She is alone and doesn't have any other chins in her cage. Will she be warm enough? Will she be fine on chinchilla pellets and regular water? How much food should I give her? Is it the same as adults (2 tablespoons)? I am giving her alfalfa hay for added nutrients. Also any other advise would be nice as i have never had experience with babies.

95 grams is tiny... she shouldn't have been removed from mom at that low of a weight. However, she looks like she possibly could be as old as stated. Just small. If mom wasn't producing much milk, and they are on crap food, it will stunt the growth. They can have a dust bath as early as they're willing to take one so that's fine, and I would just provide ample amounts of pellets, hay, and water. As long as you're comfortable in the room, she should be too.

She appears to be an ebony.

95 grams is tiny... she shouldn't have been removed from mom at that low of a weight. However, she looks like she possibly could be as old as stated. Just small. If mom wasn't producing much milk, and they are on crap food, it will stunt the growth. They can have a dust bath as early as they're willing to take one so that's fine, and I would just provide ample amounts of pellets, hay, and water. As long as you're comfortable in the room, she should be too.

She appears to be an ebony.

im giving her alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, and boiled then cooled water.
so she is a VERY light ebony then?

Ebony comes in different shades... Some are darker than others. Light ebonies look like standards without a white belly.

As stated give her unlimited pellets, hay (she needs timothy too, especially if she is on an alfalfa based pellet), and water. Get a scale and weigh her regularly to make sure she isn't losing weight. She could either be a light ebony or a dirty bellied standard.

She's a cutie! Just continue giving her unlimited pellets, fresh hay, and water and she should be fine!

Also, getting her a little bed or something fluffy to sleep in will help keep her warm and happy :)

you can see pictures of her here:

~http://www.pinterest.com/pin/316659417524202791/

~http://www.pinterest.com/pin/316659417524202788/

She actually looks bigger in the picture than she really is. I also was wondering what her color mutation is. she is ALL grey, even her belly. her mom is the same coloring and her dad is grey with a white belly.

(rant) its rly hard to see anything on pinterest. I rly don't understand why ppl use it. I tried viewing both of those links, and while it worked well enough i guess, its a pita because they cover half the page in ads or 'join us' stuff. Makes it hard to see things. Certainly annoying enough that ill never want to make an account there.

That aside...
At that size just make sure they are still in a cage with 1/2 inch spacing or less. They are shocking in that way. Very deceptive. They can still fit through 1 inch spacing for a good while. Or potentially worse, they will get half way through and get stuck.

95 grams is very small. i would watch her eating very closely and weigh weekly to make sure she is gaining well. Do you still have her mother? If so you could try caging them together. Ive found chins eat more when they are in colonies at a young age. Keep the shelves low. Kits are not a good judge of distance and can/will miss ledges, so make sure she can not fall far and hurt herself. I can not tell her color from the pics since all it shows is her back. If her belly is white, she is a standard. If her belly is grey all over then she is a light ebony.

(rant) its rly hard to see anything on pinterest. I rly don't understand why ppl use it. I tried viewing both of those links, and while it worked well enough i guess, its a pita because they cover half the page in ads or 'join us' stuff. Makes it hard to see things. Certainly annoying enough that ill never want to make an account there.

That aside...
At that size just make sure they are still in a cage with 1/2 inch spacing or less. They are shocking in that way. Very deceptive. They can still fit through 1 inch spacing for a good while. Or potentially worse, they will get half way through and get stuck.

sorry about pinterest. I am having issues loading pics on here so that was my only other choice.

And yes she is in a CN cage. i have seen videos of babies getting out and i do NOT want any problems

And yes she is in a CN cage. i have seen videos of babies getting out and i do NOT want any problems

Vry smart. Ive dealt with some of those issues. It can be quite stressful. Especially when you have a little girl that is dead set on showing you up.

Watching her climb the bars of her FN to the vry top so she can try to slip through the bars.... i think was was trying to out compete her brother Houdini or something. (Who earned the name)

if your look for a scale, i recently tried this one. Worked pretty well. You just need a large bowl or container or something to set the chin in. (Cause mine sure wouldn't stay still own there own)

With her being so small, i would weigh her daily. If she loses 10 grams, it is a lot for her and something needs to be done ASAP.

With her being so small, i would weigh her daily. If she loses 10 grams, it is a lot for her and something needs to be done ASAP.

scale should be here next Saturday. I am actually gonna start weighing all of my chins.

the baby, Rain, drinks a LOT of water. to the point where one day i picked her up and freaked out, thinking she was bloated. then i noticed during playtime with some of the other chins that she was drinking and drinking and drinking. is this OK? can they have too much water? If so, what can i do?

Back