Babies, Chin Spins and Flying Saucers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelodyR

I have a couple of questions....

Mogwai (age 4 1/2) recently lost his cagemate. They had a flying saucer and LOVED it. But they never had a Chin Spin.

I have since recently acquired 2 darling brothers (Gremlin and Gizmo) and will be introing after the quarantine period is done shortly.

I have purchased a 3-level FN and will be moving all three together in there, assuming all goes to plan.

Q#1 -- are the "babies" (who are over 4 months old and weigh close to 600 grams) old enough for the flying saucer, or the Chin Spin, for that matter? Mogwai weighs 725, so they aren't much smaller than he is.

Q#2 -- If I add a Chin Spin, do chins use both of them or single out one as their favorite and ignore the other?

I plan to give the youngsters some "alone-time" with the FS so they can try it out and get used to it without Mogwai hopping on and sending them airborne!

Q#1 -- are the "babies" (who are over 4 months old and weigh close to 600 grams) old enough for the flying saucer, or the Chin Spin, for that matter? Mogwai weighs 725, so they aren't much smaller than he is.

Q#2 -- If I add a Chin Spin, do chins use both of them or single out one as their favorite and ignore the other?

Age wise, they should be fine for the flying saucer. The only thing I would be careful of, with any wheel, is that they aren't losing weight from running too much. With young chins, like these guys, too much running can burn so many calories that there isn't much leftover for the important stuff like gaining weight and growing. Just keep an eye (and/or weights) on them to make sure they aren't going crazy with their running.

As far as number 2, I'm going to guess that they will have their favorite first, then go to the other if it's in use and they can't boot the runner out. Keep in mind though, there are some chins that just do not like the flying saucer and choose the wheel, or exactly the opposite. You may end up with 3 chins who only like one type of wheel. You'll pretty much just have to wait and see what happens.

Back