Average Weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emabee9

How much does an average female chinchilla weigh? What is considered underweight and overweight? Thank you.

I have a "pet quality chin" that weight just over 460g when I got her. My vet wants Mochi to get up to 500g (about a pound). It's been two months and we're almost there. :cute:

Show quality chins can get up to 700g, though I think 600 is more like the average. I think I read somewhere that someone had a chin that was almost 2 pounds!!!

I would say average weight being 600 grams - 700 grams. Chins can range in weight from 400 grams - 1200 grams and not be under or overweight. Some chins are just smaller or larger than others.

I have 2 one year old girls, one weighing 540g and the othe at 670g, and I believe they are still growing.
Chins are like people, we come in diff sizes and weights too, as long as they are on a healthy diet, and their weights maintain steadily.

My chins weigh anywhere from 600 to 1200 grams (the lower weights being in my sapphire line) and they are all healthy weights. Just different sizes, different builds; some big boned, a few smaller boned.

As long as you can't feel the bones, the chin is not underweight. Most breeders will not use an animal that is under 600 grams since that is considered on the small side.

Back