Average vs Mini vs Dwarf

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

What is the difference between a average sized, a mini, and a dwarf chinchilla? I know that dwarfism is a homozygous recessive trait, but is it the same thing as a mini? Or is a mini just a petite chinchilla?

What is the weight difference between an average sized chinchilla and a mini?

I've never personally heard of a mini chinchilla. I wonder if people just use that term as a selling point for buyers who want tiny chinchillas. Chinchillas bred for show are preferably 700g+ all the way to over a kilogram. I would consider a chinchilla small if it were around 500-550g or less when fully grown.

I agree with saphire. That chin is not a dwarf, it is just unusually small so they are listing it as something special to try and make money on it. Its useless for anything but a pet. Dwarfs are small but usually have blunted heads (like a newborn kits head) their whole lives, and walk with a hobbling gait instead of a normal chin walk and they have a different tail. Do a quick search. This has been discussed before.

What is the difference between a average sized, a mini, and a dwarf chinchilla? I know that dwarfism is a homozygous recessive trait, but is it the same thing as a mini? Or is a mini just a petite chinchilla?

What is the weight difference between an average sized chinchilla and a mini?
A true dwarf have 300-450 g

Back