Ate a plastic bag

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethanyShondark

Hello,

I had a plastic bag next to my chin's cage that fell within his reach. It's a thicker kind of bag for his hay.

He doesn't appear to be pooping, but he's active and eating & drinking.

What could a vet do besides surgery? Is there anything I could try at home?

Thank you!

try some pineapple juice, maybe; i'm not sure if it would work on plastic, but i know it helps other kinds of impacts.

have you called your vet yet? i do hope he's okay

What about something from the vet for gut motility? I think it'd be best he was seen though to check on impaction. If he isn't pooping that can't be a good sign. It's good he's eating and drinking but that has to go somewhere. What about a gentle belly massage? Maybe if he did not actually swallow much he can work it out himself? My little guy had stasis before and he always was given gut motility meds and I would handfeed and administer gentle massages with each feeding. Worked for stasis but I'm not sure about actual impaction. These little guys will chew just about anything. Mine got ahold of a book at one point that got too close to his cage, I actually didn't even notice until a while later as I didn't think to flip through the book. Thankfully paper passes through fairly easily in small amounts.

sorry, i should of stressed that it is very important to get him to a vet if he is not pooping.. this isn't something you want to wait on, response was just...in the meantime while your waiting to get there if you couldn't get in asap

No self-vetting possible impactions until a vet has examined and x-rayed the chin. The use of motility drugs can make the situation worse depending on the location. Stackie here has personal experience on this type of situation and got her chin through it, if she does not pop in this thread you may wan't to PM her.

I agree with Dawn. I didn't mean to imply to give the gut motility drugs without first seeing a vet. No way to know what's actually in the chin's belly without a vet. Poor little guy. Hope everything works out for him.

Please do not give the chinchilla pineapple juice. You could make things much worse than they are. The juice has sugar in it, which chins should not have. The juice could cause bloat in addition to the possible impaction.

Came home from work early to bring him to the vet and found lots of poop in the cage and he was hopping around happily. He had been eating his food and drinking all day as well. Thank G-d!

Back