Arthritis in Chin leg?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarnetKrow

TLDR: Chin probably has arthritis, how do you go about alleviating the symptoms?

Hi, I’ve posted before regarding this particular chin of mine, but I would love it if anyone can give me more tips and pointers.
I previously wrote about how Mimi chewed her left inner thigh open. I had finally gotten her to stop, helped her get over GI stasis (that was scary!) and was getting ready to reintroduce her to her cagemate, when she started CHEWING AGAIN. It’s been a good, 3-4 months since she stopped chewing last time.
Since her primary vet isn’t open due to COVID, I am looking for other places. Meanwhile, I would like some info on how to treat arthritis in Chins. The vets (I took her to 2 separate ones), both said it looks like she has an early onset of arthritis. From how she keeps chewing on that one leg and putting more weight on her right leg, I am leaning towards the fact that she has arthritis. She is fine otherwise: runs around during free play time, eats and poops normally, just her usual self. I heard glucosamine helps???

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks.

I would talk to your vet about giving any supplements, epeciaclly since she had GI stasis in the past you don't want to upset the digestive tract. If the vet seems to think it's ok, I have heard some people have had some luck with using the Oxbow Joint support as well as getting low dosage of pain meds from the vet to treat any pain.

I would talk to your vet about giving any supplements, epeciaclly since she had GI stasis in the past you don't want to upset the digestive tract. If the vet seems to think it's ok, I have heard some people have had some luck with using the Oxbow Joint support as well as getting low dosage of pain meds from the vet to treat any pain.
Thank you for the tip! I’ve been trying to find a vet that’s open that had experience with chins, but it’s kinda of an uphill battle :( I hate seeing her not being able to jump properly and stuff.

Thank you for the tip! I’ve been trying to find a vet that’s open that had experience with chins, but it’s kinda of an uphill battle :( I hate seeing her not being able to jump properly and stuff.
My girl Bella had arthritis in her hips and it got harder for her to move around her cage. My vet put her on cosequin (glucosamine) powder that I was supposed to put on her food, but that was difficult to monitor and make sure she got the right amount. So I ended up mixing it with gas drops in a spoon. I also added a drop of cbd oil to the mix and could tell that really improved how she felt. She was also on pain meds.

Back