Arlington TX Bust- Getting Ready

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NOLA Chins

Please forgive rehashing the other thread. Nothing is certain, things may change BUT...

I just got off the phone with someone who is 'in charge' of the small mammals. She asked if we would act as chin contact. There are 72 chins. All appear healthy and friendly. More info is coming on current food and possible use of their shipping containers for transport.

NOTE: A contract must be signed agreeing to no breeding. There will be penalties. Only same sex adoptions excepting established rescues. We have to go by these rules, too.

If you want to help:

First, other established rescues.
1) Where are you?
2) Can you pick up from Dallas (greatly preferred)? Or New Orleans? Do you have carriers?
3) If not, what is your driving range?
4) How many can you take?
5) Can you provide a vet reference and your adoption contact, please? PM me. There is no fee associated with your acceptance of any chins.
Reasonable adoption fees can be charged per your usual procedure.

Private adoptions:
NO BREEDING, Same sex multiples only. None are bonded.
1) Where are you?
2) What is your driving range?
3) How many do you want? Sex?
An adoption application and contract, care questionnaire and cage approval will be necessary. Vet reference would be nice.
4) Adoption fee of $50 to $75 will be charged. This will go toward expenses of your local transport, rescue, vet bills or SPCA/Humane Society.

Drivers:
1) Where are you and what's your range? Do you have carriers? Type of vehicle?
2) Do you need help on expenses?
3) How long can you hold chins pending pick-up?
4) References, please.

Donations: We are not set up for donations. We will have a non-profit contact who will handle that, possibly the hedgie people. Otherwise gift cards for gas, donations directly to participating vets (all chins coming here will be seen by our vet), or anything else you can think of that will be needed will be found a place to be used.

I need to try to make a master list, so bear with me please. In all correspondence, please title your message Rescue, Private, Transport, or Donation.You can post here or pm me.

Again, nothing is certain and there are restrictions on how much information can be released. I can't even add to that statement.

Our rescue has accepted potential responsibility for all 72 chins. We can't do it with out you.

There will a contact in the near future for other species- reptiles, hamsters, etc.

Thank you.

Rick, I contacted you back from the email you sent me. If you need the other information (vet reference and such) just let me know.

Hi Rick--

I'm located in the St. Louis area and can help with transport.

1)I'm willing to drive 5-6 hours each way. I have no carriers, as I don't own chins. I drive a Ford Explorer.
2) I do not need help with expenses.
3) How long can you hold chins pending pick-up? If the chins are OK staying in their transport carriers (as I have no cages), I can hold them for a few days or more if pick-up or the next leg of the train needs a few days.
4) What kind of references would you like? I can provide my vet's contact info if you'd like.

Transport: Hopefully carriers will be available. Very limited expense money may be available.

We have transport from Dallas to Houston. We have transport from Dallas to New Orleans.

We need transport from Dallas to Tulsa. We have transport from Tulsa to St Louis. We need transport from St Louis onwards toward whatever homes we can find.

We need transport from New Orleans to Nashville. We have transport from Nashville to Cincinatti and Staci.

We have transport to Pensacola and on to Jacksonville.

We need transport to Fredericksburg, VA from any of these routes.

We need transport and homes west from Dallas to AZ.

Also, if you are along these routes and can adopt, please let me know.

I can take in a couple or so to re-home. Sex doesn't matter; I have both. Have vet reference if necessary--awesome chin vet in Jacksonville Fl.

Also, I can pick up chins in Jacksonville and help them get further south into FL a bit, too. I have a Chevy Venture mini van. I only have a few small carriers.

Just heard from Dr Brown. We will NOT be able to use the shipping carriers. Somehow we need to come up with a lot of carriers. Plus they need to be returned or else we need a lot of donations. But spacewise, trying to put 20+ cat carriers into a vehicle is going to be interesting. I have about 25 holes worth but i can't send them on further than I take them, mainly 'cause I will need to refill.

Rick is working on getting me plans to make wood carriers that will go one way.

If Melissa is getting hedgies, I can probably transport some closer to her--she may be able to meet me in Orlando to pick some up. If they can get to Crysta, I can take them further south.

I know this is a looong shot but I can take in up to 4 chins. I will talk to my BIL to see if he has any trips planned that are headed south. I'm in Oregon. I would also be willing to do any railroads between Oregon and Washington. I do have carriers, approximately 20, including multiple holes. I do not need help with any railroad expenses.

Last edited:
Thanks rcr. Maybe something will work out in your direction.

We have tentative homes for 44 chins, not counting what I can take.

Last edited:
Transport Update:

Transport: carriers will NOT be available. Very limited expense money may be available.

We have transport from Dallas to Houston. We have transport from Dallas to New Orleans.

We need transport from Dallas to Tulsa. We have transport from Tulsa to St Louis. We HAVE transport from St Louis to ROCKFORD IL and on 80 TO INDIANA.

We need transport from New Orleans to Nashville. We have transport from Nashville to Cincinatti and Staci.

WE HAVE TRANSPORT FROM JAX TO CENTRAL FL.

We need transport to Fredericksburg, VA from any of these routes.

We need transport towards Oregon.

Thanks, I have you listed. You can arrange a connection with Rick?

I would also be willing to do any railroads between Oregon and Washington. I do have carriers, approximately 20, including multiple holes. I do not need help with any railroad expenses.

I can adopt or transport some from you, if you can RR a little them east a little bit, maybe The Dalles?

Friday 1 Jan Arlington Rescue UPDATE
At this time we do NOT have possession of the 70 chins.

Transport Update:

Transport: Carriers WILL be available. Very limited expense money may be available.
Medical expense money IS available.

We need transport from Dallas to Tulsa. We have transport from Tulsa to St Louis. We have transport from St Louis to Rockford IL and on 80 to the Indiana border. Transport MAY BE available towards MN and WI from IL. We NEED help with GAS for the driver.

We need transport from New Orleans to Nashville. We have transport from Nashville to S. Ohio

We have transport from Jax to central FL.

We need transport to Fredericksburg, VA from any of these routes for 8 chins.

We now have commitments for 38 chins. NEED homes for 32 more. Adoption fees may be waived for private adoptions on proof of being able to provide a quality home.

If there is anyone in the Pensacola area that can help get them towards Jacksonville it would be awesome. I was talking to someone in that area that doesn't have the space to quarantine them away from her herd so she isn't willing to take the chance that any of them could be sick. I don't blame her one bit. That being said, the only days off I have in the next two weeks are the days I requested for the show in NC. I can drive over to Tallahassee (in between Pensacola and Jacksonville- 2.5 hrs for each of us), but I just don't have the time in the day to drive 10 hours with having to work 8 hours.

Please let me know if there is anyone who can help!

If anyone in the Appleton/Oshkosh/Green Bay area would like to adopt, I'm willing to drive down to Illinois to pick some up from Kristy or Rick if they end up with more than they can place.

I also travel to the Twin Cities twice a month so can deliver on that route (Steven's Point, Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls etc)

I just myself cannot take any in

I am able to foster and rehome 2 since I have 2 spare cages, but I also have 6 carrier spaces in case someone from around this area would like me to get some chins for them and they can come pick them up from me. I could drive about an hour north or south to meet.

Alli - I can come straight up 39 and meet around Rockford, if you need some that way!

The carriers they will be in are like the 'evacuation carriers' I posted on C+Q in '08, good for transport, but not big enough for holding chins a day or two! They are 24 x 8 x 8, and each hold 4 chins in separate spaces. Perfect for a backseat, or in my case, a smaller SUV! I could probably carry 20-30 carriers, comfortably, as they're lightweight and stackable too!
Hoping people in Wisconsin/Minnesota could take a few, as there's transport room!

Friday 1 Jan Arlington Rescue UPDATE [CHANGES IN CAPS]
At this time we do not have possession of the 70 chins.
We ARE ready for donations at this time to:
1. Pet Products By Nature: Paypal to cover $57 shipping

Transport Update:

Transport: Carriers will be available. Very limited expense money may be available.
Medical expense money is available.

We need transport from Dallas to Tulsa. We have transport from Tulsa to St Louis. We have transport from St Louis to Rockford IL and on 80 to the Indiana border. Transport IS available towards Appleton/Oshkosh/Green Bay area. We need help with gas for the driver.

We need transport from New Orleans to Nashville. We have transport from Nashville to S. Ohio

We NEED transport from New Orleans to Jacksonville.

We have transport from Jax to central FL.

We need transport to Fredericksburg, VA from any of these routes for 8 chins.

We now Have commitments for 42 chins; NEED homes for 28 more. Adoption fees WILL be waived for private adoptions on proof of being able to provide a quality home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back