Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daaaaang touchy!
I mean, I can see how SOME people would get defensive of this, in the same way moms get defensive if someone gives them advice on raising their kid. But really, it's a shame cause your advice was valuable and genuine. It's sad cause the chin is the one who will suffer for their owner's mistakes.

These guys look awful...not to mention 3 of them (mixed) in this cage. :(

I have 3 Chinchillas for sale with a 3 deck cage, a dust bath house,water bottle, food dish, wooden perch, a bag of food, a bag of hay blocks, a bag of dust bath, and bedding included. The cage alone was 150. Must take all 3 Chinchillas together will not separate them. All 3 are Grey 1 male and 2 females. Good health, very active, great around kids, use to being handled, very friendly. $160 OBO for everything.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/2073141937.html

I inquired about them last night and whether the male was neutered, when they had last been to the vet and if they really kept all three in that cage. Here was their reply:

"Yes I do keep them in that cage and no he is not neutered I am always busy and cannot pay as much attention to them as I use to that is the reason why I am selling them."

I got my babies from CL. They were originally Petsmart critters taken in by the staff because they needed special care- one had lost a toe and the other's eye socket isn't shaped right so had to be given special eye drops until it fixed itself. I got them with pretty much every chinchilla thing they had- cage, hay, pellets, water bottle-. It was an okay deal all in all. I had some qualms with their previous living environment but I'm still a new owner myself and since they work at Petsmart they probably hear a lot of things are safe that simply aren't. I know a petstore employee tried to convince me I should just throw a towel over them to catch them when I was worried about them getting out while they're not entirely used to me.

One of the local BYB is trying to sell a violet female for $200 on craiglist. She says she got a trio and only need one female, the violet has beige babies too. She claims that she only wants to 'share the wealth'. She always has babies on CL, it bugs the heck out of me! She was even selling month old kits, she claims that once they start eating hay, or oats they're ready to go... she also sells brothers and sisters together with a single cage for a 'bargain deal'

Oh my god...just found a chin that comes with her 'cage'. A 55 gallon fish tank, lid included. Comes with a wheel too, how do you set up a water bottle in a fish tank? How the heck do you even keep a chin from over heating?!

http://poconos.craigslist.org/pet/2109530822.html

2 yr old chinchilla perfect health. cute little guy. very friendly and cute. he has cage and bathing and food were moving and cant take animals where im moving to. please help me out i love him to death but i cant have him and i want a good home for him. im asking 225.00 or best offer.

$225 is an 'adoption' fee??

What amazes me - how does that not get flagged? When I have rescues here I put them up on craigslist (and thoroughly screen, maybe 1 out of every 20 people who email me have a chance of ending up with one) and usually the adoption fee for the rescues is $50-75 and my ads are usually flagged within the hour.

Oh my god...just found a chin that comes with her 'cage'. A 55 gallon fish tank, lid included. Comes with a wheel too, how do you set up a water bottle in a fish tank? How the heck do you even keep a chin from over heating?!

They sell water bottles that sort of "hook" over the edge of fish tanks. Good for smaller critters like mice and hamsters and stuff that people (more often) keep in fish tanks. As for the overheating... that's one of many reasons why chins shouldn't be kept in fishtanks....

What amazes me - how does that not get flagged?

That part always gets me too. I see plenty of chinchilla & hedgehogs being posted in the MI CLs and the ones that are obviously rescues or owners just trying to rehome with $25-$50 adoption fees (including cages) get flagged away, and those that want over $100 stay. Crazy.

Ready to go week of Christmas-can meet part way. Rehoming fee 150.00 First picture is baby, second picture is dad.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3kd3m13o85V25O25Z5abp3e8abaeff6be15dc.jpg

3m13oa3le5Z55T65W1abp8a31e6a61aec16a2.jpg

This one really gets me. This belongs to one of our lovely local BYB. I emailed her before. she has 37 chins all breeding and sells babies at 6 weeks. Its pretty clear even to me that they are not good quality. In our emails she admitted to breeding rescues that she had taken in. But 'only because she wants her children to be able to learn about the miracle of life'. Then asking $150 gets me, the sad thing is that people will buy th kit too, instead of getting a rescue that really needs a home. Its clear the rescue has turned to profit.

Well I can only hope no one with a brain will give her any chins. I gave her the link to this forum and another site if she wanted to learn anything. It's so irritating when I have so many chins on a waiting list for the CCR (Canadian Chinchilla Rescue) and limited foster homes.

Here was her response to the sites I sent her:

Why would I take time to read this sight when you write to me not to be helpful but to be forward with rude remarks? I am a published author and my husband an engineer. We do not do this for profit, those breeders who know " chin history" they do it for profit. You do not know who you are writing, your just some nobody who is trying to care but going about it as though you are the only ones that do.

If you want my attention or any other person you come in contact with that do things you do not agree with, try coming at them with a positive outlook, suggesting not telling, in a kind manner, That will be much much more received
[/QUOT " I am a published author"? Which language would that be in? Her replies seriously made me dizzy, somewhere there's an English teacher just shrugging their shoulders.

Oh my goodness, that is one of the longest sentences I have ever read.

Why would I take time to read this sight when you write to me not to be helpful but to be forward with rude remarks? I am a published author and my husband an engineer. We do not do this for profit, those breeders who know " chin history" they do it for profit. You do not know who you are writing, your just some nobody who is trying to care but going about it as though you are the only ones that do.

If you want my attention or any other person you come in contact with that do things you do not agree with, try coming at them with a positive outlook, suggesting not telling, in a kind manner, That will be much much more received

I wonder what she was actually published in? lol

You have to try and not let these people get to you. There will always be BYB out there and they really will never listen it is to profitable and to easy to keep doing things they way they are. They do not feel they are doing anything wrong and honestly never will. The best you will get is they will lie about it....there is always an excuse

Maybe Highlights! Although, my 7 year old would probably be able to correct her spelling/grammar.

HAHA.. It is funny, but terribly sad. Sometimes I think you shouldn't waste your breath, or should I say keys. :p

"I am a published author"? Which language would that be in? Her replies seriously made me dizzy, somewhere there's an English teacher just shrugging their shoulders."

I would be that English teacher. Rather than shrugging, however, I am hitting my head against the wall.

It just dawned on me as I was about to log off, she's published on Facebookfails.com and probably has her picture on People of Walmart! She may also be an Author on FML. Classy!

Found this one today on the Raleigh CL:

have the cage, food, wheel, dust bath, they are ready to go. we are moving and cant take them. have to go as a pair! willing to part with just the chinchillas if you have a cage
asking a 150.00 for everything. any kid would be happy to have these as pets! they are vey loving.

Attachments

• clchin1.jpg
    clchin1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 36
  • clchin2.jpg
    clchin2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 33
  • clchin3.jpg
    clchin3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 31
Here's a somewhat amusing "want ad" from my local CL today (mostly because of the colors this person is looking for):

I am looking for a chinchilla prefurably looking for one about 6 - 12 wks old or just a young one ,

I would like it to be black velvet , blue diamond , goldbar , afro violet , * recessive white * , * white mosaic * or wilson white *

.. I don't care if its a male or female .

Has to be friendly and not aggressive . and one that i could eventually show

If you have a chinchilla I may be interested in Call me or text me at [phone #] and tell me how much you would be willing to price it at , its color , and its age ..

Would like to have it b4 christmas the sooner the better :]

Back