Are these supplies high quality?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

Our house stays fairly warm in the summer so I'm planning to do tile slabs in the cage for the floors and fleece liners and wood for the rest. Is that ok? Getting the critter nation instead of ferret nation because I'm getting a baby. Also, just curious...would a bottom floor critter nation attach to an add on ferret nation top?

Planning on getting a wooden wheel from Etsy. It's a 16" wheel so it's big enough. I'm afraid to get metal because of the loud noise at night! She's gonna stay in my bedroom.what toys would you recommend? Anything else you can think of?

Ok the water bottle, I would go with the 12 oz not the 26 oz. I have one of those brand 12 oz for my two and it's worked well. Chins normally only drink about 1-3 oz a day, and you don't want to leave water in the bottle for too long, the water should be changed regularly.

The dust pan is fine, personally I prefer bath houses that are enclosed, the dust bath is really fine and goes everywhere. I got one of these gallon candy jars from walmart https://i5.wal.co/asr/8d020805-fece....jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff I like that it contains the dust more as well as has a lid for after the bath so the dust doesn't get dirty between baths since I reuse it several times before tossing it.

The granite tiles are good, I have a few, but if you want to cut some cost there, you can get tiles from a hardware store. You can even sometimes get cheap or free samples (normally for if you want to see how it looks in your house) of stone or tile, and if you ask some place that sells counter tops, they sometimes have scrap pieces that would otherwise be thrown out. I also have a few just plain ceramic tiles in the cage. The cooling tiles are really for additional cooling (like after running around) in an already cool room, they do not replace having an ac unit. Anything above about 70F and the chin will be feeling hot, about 75F and up they can suffer and die of heatstroke, but some like the old and young can die at even lower temps of around 72F.

That wheel can work, I have seen others use them, but personally I don't like wooden wheels, I would think a chin would chew it up, and if the chin gets sick it might be hard or even impossible to clean. Also if the chin gets ringworm (fungal skin infection) anything wood will need to be tossed. Most wheels the loud part is the bearings or just the wheel itself rattling against the cage (you can add bracing to help stabilize it). I wouldn't worry too much about getting a wheel right away, kits under 6 months should not have a wheel, they should be focusing their energy on growing, as well as they don't know when to quick and easily over do it. They can't regulate their body temp or blood sugar as well as an adult which can lead to issues like overheating, seizures, weight loss, and even death. On that same note little to no free running playtime until 6 months 5-10 minutes max.

The pellets are good, and it's great that you can get the same as the breeder is already feeding so you shouldn't have any issues.

Alfalfa hay is good for kits until about 6 months to a year, while they are still growing, but they do also need timothy hay, unlimited amounts of both hays. Alfalfa is a legume (like beans) hay so it's much higher in calcium and protein then a grass hay like timothy, as well as it's softer so not as good for tooth wear, so you do want to offer timothy as well. After about 6 months they don't need the extra calcium and should be switched to just timothy, it makes it a lot easier if they have been eating timothy all along since you will just be removing the alfalfa not switching hay.

Of the toys listed, the economical chew sticks are just popsicle sticks, they are ok but do splinter easy, I've never had a problem but it's something to watch for. The pine wood chews are also ok, but boring. Pine cones are not safe, the pine cone itself is but the sap inside is not, and it's nearly impossible to get all the sap out so it's best to just avoid them. Apple chew sticks are great, and a good option for a daily "treat" for kits since they shouldn't be given actual treats until older and you can give as many as you want. Pumice stones are good too, they are the type of rock the dust is made of, so chins like to chew them to get little dust baths between baths. I would avoid the cardboard, most chins just shred it but some do eat it, which can cause a blockage. The hay cubes are good too they give some variety, but once the chin is an adult they should just be treats since they contain alfalfa. I think I already mention the salt licks are no good in another thread.

From what I've heard chilldust is suppose to be the best you can get now, I personally have never used it though since I live in Canada and they don't sell it here.

Planning on getting a wooden wheel from Etsy. It's a 16" wheel so it's big enough. I'm afraid to get metal because of the loud noise at night! She's gonna stay in my bedroom.what toys would you recommend? Anything else you can think of?
Personally I would go with a metal wheel, as I mentioned it's mostly the bearings (you can get wheels made with quiet ones) and the cage itself that rattles and makes noise. A good store on etsy for wheels (NOT the basic wheel though!) as well as cage stuff and toys is Where Every Pet is Unique Safe Handmade Pet by PandamoniumPets You can also check out the online vendor list on this forum, it's old so some of the links may not work but it's worth a look. Grand master chin supplier list

Most specifically for toys you want a variety, chins are smart so they do need things to keep busy. So hanging toys, toss toys, as well as various materials, wood, loofah, coconut shell (NOT husk), palm leaf, rattan vine, willow vine, lava/pumice stones, bamboo shredders. Also just other things for the cage, tunnels, hammocks (anti pill fleece only), clay pots, ledges, and perches.

Our house stays fairly warm in the summer so I'm planning to do tile slabs in the cage for the floors and fleece liners and wood for the rest. Is that ok? Getting the critter nation instead of ferret nation because I'm getting a baby. Also, just curious...would a bottom floor critter nation attach to an add on ferret nation top?
Yes a critter nation and ferret nation can fit together, assuming they are both the newer model snap together kind. The old screw together kind (haven't been made in atleast 10 years) are a different size, in case you find an old used one for sale.

Yes a critter nation and ferret nation can fit together, assuming they are both the newer model snap together kind. The old screw together kind (haven't been made in atleast 10 years) are a different size, in case you find an old used one for sale.
I'm buying from amazon. Gonna get the first level critter nation and get the 2nd story in a few months

What wheel do you have? What wheel would you recommend? For when she is older?
The wheel I have is the standard size steel flying saucer Steel Flying Saucer Chinchilla Exercise Wheels The original reason I went with it was is was the only chin safe wheel sold in Canada at the time, but my guys really like it and use it a lot (they run on it, but also use it as a launching and landing pad, swing back and forth on it, slide down it...). Most chins can figure out a drum style wheel (what you normally think of for a wheel) but the flying saucer style wheels have a learning curve, so it can take time for some to figure them out, and some never figure them out. They also do take up a lot more room in the cage, about a 14" x 14" area, were as even the big drum style take up about a 16"x6" area.

I had one like that in the past, they are VERY loud, to give you an idea, I had to leave the room to talk on the phone. I have heard good things about the Soundless Spinner one though, and even better reviews for the Xtra Soundless Spinner if you really want quiet.

Personally I like the steel flying saucer more then normal wheel since they seem to enjoy it more then they did when I had a normal wheel for them, but as I said it really depends on the chin. Also unlike the normal wheels the flying saucer has never needed any adjustment or greasing of the bearings, it came with an extra bearing just in case but it's been almost 9 years I have yet to need it and it still works like new. Since they no longer sell the flying saucers, or any safe wheels, in Canada anymore the Xtra soundless spinner Pandamonium Pets XTRA Soundless Spinner™ X SHAPED mount 100% | Etsy would be what I would go with if I ever need a new wheel, it's a different mounting then the original soundless spinner so it distributes the weight better which means less likely to rattle the cage or break bars (can be a problem with the Critter Nation if you aren't careful).

Is the critter nation less sturdy? If so, can i even put wood ledges in or would it bend/break the bars? What do you have? Can you send a pic?

The Critter nation and ferret nations are the same exact size, the only real difference is the bars, the CN has 1/2" mostly horizontal bars, and the FN has 1" mostly vertical bars.

Is the critter nation less sturdy? If so, can i even put wood ledges in or would it bend/break the bars? What do you have? Can you send a pic?

The CN bars are a bit weaker then the FN, possibly because of the weld points being farther apart horizontally. You can add ledges and stuff you just need to make sure you distribute the weight over multiple bars, using wide fender washers for example. That is why I mentioned the xtra soundless spinner might work better for a CN cage if going with the drum style wheel, it distributes the weight of the wheel over a larger area.

I have a double Ferret Nation, but I also got my boys as adults, a kit would be able to get through the 1" bars, which is why the Critter nation is better for you for now since you will be getting a kit. Here is my cage, (you can see my flying saucer wheel on the bottom)
Cage.jpg
if you look closely (here I'll take a pic) at the ledges and perches you can see what I mean about fender washers to spread the weight over more then one bar, but since the CN has narrower bars you can spread the weight over a few bars instead of just two, and try to attach things on weld points when you can since it's strongest there.
20210214_163838[1].jpg
(that is my boy Wicket photo bombing ☺)

Here is an example of someone with a CN cage to give you an idea (there is likely more on that thread but just giving you one example), you can still have ledges and stuff, you just have to be more careful with placement is all.
The Ferret Nation Club
and here is another person's CN setup
https://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/threads/chin-cage-feedback.39720/#post-390248

Attachments

• Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 6
The Critter nation and ferret nations are the same exact size, the only real difference is the bars, the CN has 1/2" mostly horizontal bars, and the FN has 1" mostly vertical bars.

The CN bars are a bit weaker then the FN, possibly because of the weld points being farther apart horizontally. You can add ledges and stuff you just need to make sure you distribute the weight over multiple bars, using wide fender washers for example. That is why I mentioned the xtra soundless spinner might work better for a CN cage if going with the drum style wheel, it distributes the weight of the wheel over a larger area.

I have a double Ferret Nation, but I also got my boys as adults, a kit would be able to get through the 1" bars, which is why the Critter nation is better for you for now since you will be getting a kit. Here is my cage, (you can see my flying saucer wheel on the bottom)
View attachment 21271
if you look closely (here I'll take a pic) at the ledges and perches you can see what I mean about fender washers to spread the weight over more then one bar, but since the CN has narrower bars you can spread the weight over a few bars instead of just two, and try to attach things on weld points when you can since it's strongest there.
View attachment 21272
(that is my boy Wicket photo bombing ☺)

Here is an example of someone with a CN cage to give you an idea (there is likely more on that thread but just giving you one example), you can still have ledges and stuff, you just have to be more careful with placement is all.
The Ferret Nation Club
and here is another person's CN setup
https://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/threads/chin-cage-feedback.39720/#post-390248
Thank you! And also, I love your cage! AND the pic you sent me of the critter nation cage... it looked like it was valentines day themed!😂

Back