Are peppermint candles safe for chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket29

Rocket&Bilbo
Hello,
As winter nears, the ladybug population in my area are increasing rapidly. Now there's an infestation on the chinchilla room! I want to use peppermint candles to repel them, but I first want to know-- is it safe for my two chinchillas? What other safe options do I have?
Thanks!

I would say no to candles, although peppermint is safe for chins essential oils, which are used in making candles, are generally not. Depending on the kind of candles they aren't safe for chin's respiratory system ingeneral either. Maybe find out what is causing them to come inside in the first place? If it's because it's getting cold outside, just vacuum them up, as the temp drops the ones outside will die so no more can come inside. They need moisture to survive, so keep the humidity as low as possible in the room. You can also use clove and bay leaf (where the chin can't get to) the smell is suppose to repel them. Citrus is suppose to repel them too, so maybe some orange or lemon peels. Both of those things you could put in a cheesecloth or other breathable bag or tied up cloth near where they are congregating.

I don't burn candles around any of my animals that might have respiratory struggles from them. My birds, chins, rats, and ferret. I'll burn them in the kitchen, but that's a whole house away.

Back