Are my Chinchillas sad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RylanWebster

Hello all,

Thank you for all your help with my previous problems. The chins are eating and drinking fine now, and the brownish pee was from a bark toy that I gave one of them.

As you may know, they are not bonded but they have lived next to each other their whole lives in separate cages. These past couple of weeks, since I got them, they had become really close.

But another problem has arisen. They seemed sad all last week when I put them back in their cages after play time, one of them, Nova, would scratch and bite at the cage door to come out and the other, Nyx would just be in a corner.

I was super stressed and didn't know what they wanted or what was making them do this, so I decided to completely clean and remodel the bigger cage and move them both in. I still have the other cage all set up though. They seem okay, Nova definitely seems happier I think. I don't know how Nyx is doing though, it's really hard to tell.

I'm really trying to work on bonding with them. I took them out way too early, letting them come out and play ever since the day that they came. I know this was a really poor decision, but I don't know how to fix it.

Now they seem like they want to run around way more than they want to bond with me. I will open their cage doors and they will push my hands away and immediately try to hop out.

I wish I gave them a couple days to get used to their cage and me before letting them out.

Honestly, they just look sad. Their coats look fine and everything and they don't look sick, but it's just something in their eyes and their stance that makes them look sad, and it makes me really sad and scared.

Does anyone know what I can do to make this better? I really want to have a relationship with them and have them be happy, but I'm really at a loss right now.

Thank you so much,
Rylan

Attachments

• 15922584463994389797317141820220.jpg
    15922584463994389797317141820220.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1592258514380239463676867599732.jpg
    1592258514380239463676867599732.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 15922585301382188650703086115908.jpg
    15922585301382188650703086115908.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3
I don’t think they are sad. My chinchilla looks like this during the day when she is sleepy.

I am not experienced so I may be wrong. They are adorable though.

They probably aren't sad, they are more likely playing you, they are like little 2 years old and will pout if they don't get their way. Think of it like telling a kid recess is over and it's time to come inside, lol. If you don't already you may want to look into getting them a wheel, they aren't cheap though, chin safe wheel need to be a minimum of 14-15" diameter and solid metal ( examples of chin safe wheels are, the Chin Spin, Steel Flying Saucer, Chin Sprint, as well handcrafted ones on etsy ). That way they can still get some extra energy out even if you have to cut playtime shorter then they would like.

It sounds like they are pretty much friends now, and should be ok together. Things to watch out for would be fur slips, chasing, biting, barking, etc. As well as if you notice one chin hiding or actively avoiding the other in the cage.

If you can try to limit the area they can play in, at least for now, and sit on the floor with them, that way they have to interact with you. You can also try just playing with them inside the cage to try to form a bit more of a bond. Also if you can try to have a set time during the day and amount of time for play, routine is very good for chins so they can get use to and know when they will get to come out again. You can also try handing them chew stick when you enter the room so they start looking at you for good things.

They probably aren't sad, they are more likely playing you, they are like little 2 years old and will pout if they don't get their way. Think of it like telling a kid recess is over and it's time to come inside, lol. If you don't already you may want to look into getting them a wheel, they aren't cheap though, chin safe wheel need to be a minimum of 14-15" diameter and solid metal ( examples of chin safe wheels are, the Chin Spin, Steel Flying Saucer, Chin Sprint, as well handcrafted ones on etsy ). That way they can still get some extra energy out even if you have to cut playtime shorter then they would like.

It sounds like they are pretty much friends now, and should be ok together. Things to watch out for would be fur slips, chasing, biting, barking, etc. As well as if you notice one chin hiding or actively avoiding the other in the cage.

If you can try to limit the area they can play in, at least for now, and sit on the floor with them, that way they have to interact with you. You can also try just playing with them inside the cage to try to form a bit more of a bond. Also if you can try to have a set time during the day and amount of time for play, routine is very good for chins so they can get use to and know when they will get to come out again. You can also try handing them chew stick when you enter the room so they start looking at you for good things.
Thank you so much. That makes so much sense. I do have a 16-inch aluminum wheel in their cage, but their old owner was using those Kaytee silent spinner wheels that were more like 13 in, and Nyx hasn't really figured out that she can run on it yet.
Thank you for all the advice, I think I will try doing their playtime in the bathroom where it is nice and open. I think a big part of it was I was constantly trying to get them out from under stuff and not letting them eat stuff in my room, thus how associating myself with punishment.
I I will try the chew stick method as well too turn their neutral feelings toward me into good feelings.
Thank you for all your help!

If it makes you feel better, my Susu still sometimes pushes my hand away...and then other times will follow my movements around the house because she wants attention.

Don't take it personally.

You just got a sassy chinchilla.

They're fun.

Back